I apologize for the short notice. We talked briefly about this in the Skepticamp meeting this weekend but I haven't sent a broader email. Fred Phelps is going to be in Atlanta this week and we'd like to organize some counter protests. Here are the dates and times. I have included the people who said they could 'run with' the counter protest for that particular time. If you can make it, please let us know. We'd like to get at least 5 people for each counter protest so that we're not alone when we're doing this. Details, along with their crazy on what exactly they are protesting here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuuekdsyxsxmdDJ5YmVncXluY1lkY0xjalpDUkN5Tnc&hl=en
5/5/10 10:30 AM - 11:15 AM Atlanta, GA Atlanta Marriott Marquis 265 Peachtree Center Ave.
5/5/10 3:05 PM - 3:35 PM Atlanta, GA Douglass High School 225 Hamilton E. Holmes Dr. NWLaVerne Knight-West
5/5/10 4:10 PM - 4:40 PM Atlanta, GA Jewish Georgian 8495 Dunwoody Pl. (Bldg. 9, Ste. 100)
5/5/10 5:05 PM - 5:35 PM Marietta, GA Marcus JCC 2509 Post Oak Tritt Rd.
5/5/10 6:15 PM - 7:00 PM Alpharetta, GA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 2200 Encore ParkwayMaria Walters
5/6/10 07:40 AM - 08:10 AM Atlanta, GA Druid Hills High School 1798 Haygood Dr. NE
5/6/10 08:15 AM - 08:45 AM Atlanta, GA Emory University Hillel 735 Gatewood Rd. NE (Marcus Hillel Center)Laura Ross
5/6/10 3:10 PM - 3:40 PM Atlanta, GA Grady High School 929 Charles Allen Dr. NEhttp://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113068505390927&ref=nf
5/6/10 5:15 PM - 6:00 PM Atlanta, GA The Selig Center (Jewish Federation of Atlanta) 1440 Spring St.
If you can make it:
- Email and let us know so the primary person can coordinate with you. If you can make it to one of the other protests, let me know as well. You can reply to this thread or email me directly at [address removed]
- Bring a sign! (Be creative! Be silly!). Also, read this: http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/2004/Images/Adopted/0517/04O0872.pdf
which are the 'official rules' about demonstrating, including the materials you
can and cannot make signs out of.
- Do NOT engage any of the protesters. Just hold up your signs, collect donations.
- Primary people: Bring something to collect funds in. We will collect money for AID Atlanta http://www.aidatlanta.org/Page.aspx?pid=295
- Take photos if you can!
- Report back on how it went!