Announcing a new Meetup for Atlanta Skeptics!What
: October Skeptics in the Pub!When
: Saturday, October 16,[masked]:00 PMWhere
: Manuels Tavern
602 N. Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30307
This month, we're featuring a talk from our own Nate Shoemaker about information security.
Information Security has seen more media attention than ever in the last couple years. Stories hit regularly about identity theft, the latest virus or the most recent company to have hundreds of thousands of accounts compromised. The methods employed to create the problems are usually technically deep and not easily summarized in the articles.
In this discussion, we will strip away the technical layers and attempt to look at the basic concepts. They are actually pretty basic and you probably instinctively identify them when you see them already.
Some of the topics covered during the discussion will include:
- Which security principles are typically leveraged to thwart skeptical inquiry?
- Security protocols in the Death Star.
- What is a website telling you when it says its secure?
- Common attacks expressed through easy to understand physical examples in movies (and not Hackers, Crackers, Sneakers, The Matrix or The Net.)
- How does it actually work when they stamp a document ?Top Secret? and how that model can be flipped on it?s head to provide better scientific accuracy.
Please feel free to bring your questions and concerns regarding information security as well.
Nate has worked in Information Technology for 14 years. The last seven of which have been spent helping companies implement enterprise software by advising them on what infrastructure to build and how to secure it. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Technical Management and is currently pursuing a Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance. He currently holds multiple IT and security certifications including being a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP.)
RSVP to this Meetup:http://www.meetup.com/AtlantaSkeptics/calendar/14981400/