For those of you new to Atlanta Skeptics you might be asking what this SkeptiCamp thing is all about:
SkeptiCamps are informal, community-organized conferences born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. Everyone from casual skeptics to the experienced participate, give talks and get to know each other. In a nutshell, SkeptiCamp is BarCamp adapted to the domain of scientific skepticism.
Atlanta SkeptiCamp is a two day grassroots conference run by you, for you. Think for yourself. Share what you know!
Well the planning of Atlanta SkeptiCamp 2013 is now underway and the time has come to live up to the promise of a SkeptiCamp being a community driven activity.
Initially we are looking for ideas/leads/volunteers in the following areas:
- Location - We already have a few places in mind, but if anyone has contacts that can locate us a decent sized (100 people) room that we can have Friday night through Sunday please bring it up! This is a key item as the date is currently flexible contingent on securing a location.
- Fundraising - A big exercise, we need several people willing to volunteer their time to help drive this, some of the specific items are listed below but we need people to help drive the overall activity.
- Corporate sponsors - If anyone knows a company who would like to get their name in front of a 100 strong captive audience, we would love to hear from them. We are looking for sponsors for areas such as food, t-shirts etc.
- Item donations - We will be conducting fundraising auctions and any items (goods or services) that we could auction off would be fantastic. These might be skeptic related (signed books etc), but could be anything at all (we are looking into magazine subscriptions, tours, etc).
- Presentation assistance - Not specifically the content itself, but someone who is good at public speaking who is willing to help out any of our speakers who might not be quite so comfortable in front of a crowd.
- Coordination of sessions - Anyone interested in the logistics of organizing around 20+ sessions over a two day period.
- Emcee - There are some great local people who I would happily pick on as emcee, but I'd like to see if anyone new has an interest.
- Advertising - Skepticamp is a fantastic outreach opportunity for Atlanta Skeptics, but this means getting the word out beyond our own community. I'm going to be starting myself this weekend with the BarCamp crowd, but any contacts anyone has to try to get the word out, or anyone who wants to drive advertising would be fantastic. Given our first Skepticamp related event is the March 16th Podcast, this is one of the more urgent items.
- Speakers - Of course at the end of the day Skepticamp is only as good as its speakers, this is your chance to get your ideas out to the group. Talks will be short, with practical demonstrations and audience participation prioritized over power point slides (though those are welcome as well)! So don't let the idea of creating an hour long detailed presentation put you off. We also will have people willing to help you out with your presentation, so even if you only have a basic idea, let us know!
- IT support - web page updates, community sites, wiki, distribution lists, etc etc. The people involved in planning will need to collaborate and any I'm sure we have people who live and breathe that.
- Hundreds of other things I'm not even thinking about - If you want to help out in any way shape or form, let me know!
So when is it? As stated above, the final date is subject to securing a location, but our working dates are May 3rd-5th, with the already scheduled Drinking Skeptically event on the 3rd acting as our kick-off.
That is a while off isn't it? What is the rush? Well the March 16th podcast event will be our official announcement event, and by then we want to lock down at least the location and dates. So if you've ever wanted to play a bigger part in Atlanta Skeptics, or skepticism in general, now is your chance! We all have our unique skills from computers, to art, to speaking, lets get together and create an event we can be proud of (and more importantly outdo Denver Skeptics - part of our ongoing rivalry).
What are the next steps? For now email me, [address removed] to indicate your interest, and as soon as we can some community site up we will migrate to there.