Atlanta Skeptics Message Board › April SitP Update (with bonus Science Tavern info)

April SitP Update (with bonus Science Tavern info)

A former member
Hi all,

I have the the information from our speaker. This talk should be fun. Bring your opinions and questions :)

April's speaker is our own J. Paul Daigle:

===

I am not Seth: Confessions of a Skeptical Asshole

For several years, I've pursued a skeptical career as a snarky, sarcastic, and dogged debater on several skeptical web sites. The response to this among skeptics has been almost universal rejection of any position that they don't already agree with, and even rejection of messages that they already do agree with. At the same time, I've observed the same phenomenon whenever skeptics are engaging with people of faith. There is an attitude that skeptics are only interested in disagreeing with people, that skeptics are arrogant, that skeptics don't listen and refuse to consider other interpretations of data.

This is a PR problem that organized skepticism is aware of, and that many people have proposed fixes for. Whether it's Randy Olson, Christopher Moody, or Daniel Loxton, there is a feeling among prominent and influential skeptics that something has to be done to improve the way that skeptics communicate.

For what it's worth, I'd like the Atlanta Skeptics to consider some conjectures from a skeptical asshole on how skepticism can create a more positive impression without compromise or accommodation.

===

In other news -- it appears the Atlanta Science Tavern is trying again to do their climate change talk - remember, the first one was canceled because of weather earlier this year - and naturally it's scheduled at about the same time as ours.

I know we have some overlap in membership, so I'm going to talk to Manuel's to find out if we have some other options. It'll be the same night, but we might start a little later, and maybe move to the big room if we can. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks!

Christian