addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

(ATAMOS) Atlanta Tennis and maybe other stuff Message Board › What's thi$ membership fee about??

What's thi$ membership fee about??

Jason
xxxxxxxx
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 50
<edit 2/18/10: Archiving until further notice. Reasons:
1. Court fee collection and difficulty in hedging attendance made it cumbersome for me to come out even, so I generally had to pay more than $10 extra each month for no-shows or non-payers.
2. Too much details for people to read and understand.
3. New method to be tested is underway. Archived for potential future use.
..... those that are payed members for this month will still get their benefits for this month. /end edit>

This is an option so you don't have to pay per event. It is to relieve some administration time and dealing with collection/noncollection of the "I'll pay ya double next time" or the "do I owe ya if I only want to play for the last 37 minutes and I didn't RSVP?".
If you're really that broke but still want to play tennis, and I know you to some degree, let me know, maybe I can help you out.

The problem with freeloading on people's meetup events is simple. It makes you a parasite on the host and weakens the group collectively. Many have been great on paying up front, don't get me wrong! :)

It's tough, I know, to constantly have cash on hand for each and every event. I personally use debit cards for everything because cash can be a hassle. Using online transactions are even better, and really the way to go.

Yes, I end up paying a bit more than everyone else but it doesn't matter to me because this is my hobby and as hobbies go it doesn't cost me all that much.
The monthly membership fee is merely an option for you. It covers EVERYTHING for you.
It helps me partially, to pay for the courts, the Meetup site costs, organizational time, match setups, occasional tennis balls, and everything else. I like having a core group of regulars and this option gives incentive.

As most events we've done in the past has lasted about 3-4hrs apiece and 8-10 events each month, it should be obvious that a $20 membership cost isn't much considering over 20-40hrs of play time. :)
(EDIT: now only asking $10 for rest of Feburary).

In an event of bad weather we postpone event until better weather. I'll always try to plan the schedule around the best possible weather as given in the forecast. Such as, if one day it shows 50's and the next shows 60's then I'll likely move it to the warmer day.

Those that pay the membership will get more than just a huge savings, they also get immediate upgrade off any waitlist, as well as get priority when playing for certificates or titles.

Or you can still choose "pay at each event". However, you may get bumped off the "Yes-list" in any event that a paying member is on a "wait-list".

The only tennis events that will be excluded from this are the events that are labeled on the calendar as "Beginner clinics" in which training lessons are specifically stated.

It's up to you, the choice is yours.

What makes this better than Peach, League, ALTA, etc? Well, opinions will inevitably vary, but I posted many details to the message board my thoughts when asked. :)

My membership cost is all inclusive, other places make you have obligations, as well as make you pay a membership cost plus court cost plus you may have to do all the work yourself to organize, schedule, and reserve etc... Some places will lure you with the use of your "friends" (whom get incentive$ if you join).

Jason

Jason
xxxxxxxx
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 68
I felt I should clarify that this is a nonrecurring fee. If you pay for one month, then the next month you will not receive another bill or another request. So you'll need to go through this process again for each new month, and the rate may change in the coming months.

When you pay through PayPal or Amazon you will receive all the security that those options offer as well as an invoice and records of purchase.
You could also just give me the membership fee in cash or check at one of our events.

I keep track of all of it and all you need to do is just show up. :)

One more thing I should also clarify again- if you don't choose the membership then please remember you will then be expected to pay the cost indicated on each event.

We had great success last month with those that joined the Monthly Membership option. It's just easier for all involved when you're a paid member, because you don't need to have cash on hand every time you show up and you don't need to have your tennis playing interruped during payment collection. So join up, and lets get the tennis party started!