addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 227
I hope it is okay that I start this thread. I could use some easy, realistic recipes that a busy homeschooling, working pt momma could use, that little ones will eat and enjoy? Is that asking for too much? LoLbiggrin

( I say realistic because I have many cookbooks but most of the recipes are so labor intensive and are not things my little ones will eat--I probably wouldn't either LoL)
A former member
Post #: 1
Okay, this isn't the healthiest thing on the planet, but I cook for a family and this is one of my favorite things to make because it is so easy. Manwich (what is in the can itself) is actually vegetarian. I called ConAgra to ask about the "natural flavors" and the customer service rep looked it up and there are no animal products in it. I mix that up with Boca or Morningstar's fake ground beef and they have sloppy joe's. It's definitely a kid favorite. Baked tator tots go perfectly.

You can also buy Quorn (fake chicken-ish) in the frozen foods at Kroger or Whole Foods and saute it with a very dry Marsala and a teeny bit of butter. You could serve with pasta tossed in butter and parmesean or with mashed potatoes.

I also like to buy Muir Glen diced tomatoes and toss it in a pot with a little olive oil, some salt, and lots of fresh basil (has to be fresh). After that cooks about 10 minutes, add chopped fresh mozzarella (the kind that's stored in the whey) and just let it barely melt and then pour the sauce over some whole wheat pasta (bionaturae is the best--I think) or some bucatini. Serve with tons of parmesean. The sauce is very "brothy" and demands bread be dipped in it.

Bush's Chili Starter is also vegetarian. I saute some garlic (decide to taste) from the jar in some olive oil. I then throw in the pot the Bush's Chili Starter, bulgar (boil 1 c. water and mix in 1 c. dry bulgar and let it soak up the water first), 1 28 oz. can of Muir Glen diced tomatoes, some frozen corn, 1 can diced green chilis, 1 T oregano, 1 T. basil and red pepper to taste.

Good luck!
A former member
Post #: 14
Taking notes!!!
A former member
This so easy and quick! I make it at least once a week.

BAKED POTATO-AND-BROCCOLI SOUP

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
2 (14 1/4 ounce) cans veg broth
3 cups cubed potato (I like to keep the skins on)
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped (sometimes I substitue corn or any other veg)
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/4 milk (soy or rice)
8 ounces shredded cheese (soy doesn't melt to well, so experiment)

Wisk together flour and 1/3 cup veg broth until smooth.
Combine remaining broth and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
Stir in milk and cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.

That's it!! Enjoy!
A former member
I got this recipe from a friend and drink it for breakfast almost every day. It says to blend some stuff first, but I just throw everything in the blender at once. (this is copied from a document my friend wrote)

• ¼ cup seeds and nuts - Any combination of walnuts, almonds, raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, ground flaxseeds etc. (see Tips)
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup berries fresh or frozen - Any kind - Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackberries etc.
  • 1 cup Seasonal fresh fruit slices - Any kind - pineapple, mango, peaches, papaya etc.
  • 1/2 cup plain Organic Yogurt or Kefir - Vegans can substitute it with Cultured Soy Milk
  • 1/2 cup Orange Juice
  • 1 tsp Spirulina (see Tips)

Blend the seeds, yogurt and juice first until creamy. Blend in rest of the ingredients.

Tips

• We recommend powdered Spirulina in glass bottles: Earthrise Organic or Nutrex Pacifica brands. The best price available on internet is on iherb.com ($28 ? $40 for 1 lb bottle that lasts 2 months)
  • Use Coffee grinder to grind your flaxseed fresh at home
  • Premix nuts and seeds enough for a week or two in a large airtight container. Saves time.
  • You can increase the quantity of Spirulina from 1/2 tsp to 1 TSP gradually for more benefits as you get used to the flavor
  • You can make your own Kefir / Yogurt at home very easily and economically after you get the starter from the store.

A former member
Post #: 2
The top 3 easy things that we eat at my house are hummus, cheesy vegetable pasta/rice/couscous, and tofu scramble. None of these recipes takes more than 20 minutes to prepare and cook (unless you use rice in the cheesy vegetable recipe). Ok, here are the recipes:

Hummus

2 cloves garlic?roughly chopped
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
14 oz (400g) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)?rinsed and drained (Personally, I use dried chickpeas cooked in a crockpot overnight instead of canned ones)
½ cup tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt

PLACE all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally. Serve with bread (pita is best) and vegetables for dipping.

Variations: If you like a spicier hummus, add a small red chili (chopped) or a pinch of cayenne pepper, or try a little cumin for a more exotic variation.

Tip: Prepare extra quantities of hummus?it can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 1 week and frozen for up to 3 months.

Note: I make my hummus spicier than this basic recipe (i.e. I use a lot more sea salt, plus black pepper and cayenne pepper)

"Cheesy" Vegetable Pasta

For the "cheese" sauce:
1 1/2 servings of nutritional yeast
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 cup soymilk
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. mustard powder (yellow mustard is fine too!)
salt and pepper to taste

4 servings whole wheat pasta, w.w.rice, or w.w.couscous (or whatever other grain you have)

Whatever fresh or frozen vegetables you have lying around (broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach are especially good)

Cook your grain according to the instructions and put aside.
Steam vegetables and put aside.
Blend spices together in a bowl. Heat soymilk. While the soymilk is heating, add the spices and the olive oil. Stir well. Once soymilk is hot, add the nutritional yeast. Stir well. Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water. Pour the watery cornstarch into the soymilk mixture. Immediately begin stirring the sauce until it is the thickness of a cheese sauce. Take off of stove and add the vegetables. Pour the sauce onto you grain and mix well.

Tofu Scramble

1 block tofu
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
Whatever vegetables you have lying around (Onions, garlic, mushrooms, corn, carrots, potatoes, etc.)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste

Drain tofu for a few minutes while the oil heats in a large frying pan or wok.
Chop the tofu and vegetables into small pieces.
Blend the spices together in a small bowl.
Add the tofu and vegetables to the pan.
Sprinkle seasoning onto the tofu/vegetables.
Stir well.
Cook tofu and vegetables on medium for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are done and the tofu is slightly brown (if it doesn't brown, it doesn't matter - it's good anyway).

This can be served in a variety of ways. For breakfast, you could have toast on the side. For lunch or supper, you could put the tofu mixture into whole wheat tortillas or pita. I like mine with ketchup. wink
A former member
Post #: 330
Thanks a bunch!

We actually use the Boca crumblers and just add some pasta sauce and have veggie sloppy joes.

And we use the Quorn sometimes also.

My girls love Hummus but we have never made it homemade so thanks for the recipes.

Guess I'm on the right track then!biggrin

thanks again,
Dawn
A former member
Post #: 30
Dawn,

This was a great thread that somehow has been forgotten. crying

So I'm bumping it up so, you guys can start posting your recipes for everyone. I think this is a great spot for everyone to share their favorite recipes or just any recipe that worked out pretty good for you.

Sheriss
A former member
Post #: 415
I am looking forward to getting some yummy recipes! (and hopefully adding some LoL)smile
A former member
Post #: 4
I really like vegweb.com. Their are a lot of simple quick recipes. I have fun trying new recipes, and I even let my four year old son help as well.