addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Atlanta Vegetarian & Vegan Group Message Board The Veggie Spot › vegan and married to a non-vegan, help!

vegan and married to a non-vegan, help!

Jessica
JessSapoznick
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 60
Hello, I need your help, support, and advice!
I'm newly vegan, and living with my husband, who at this point is mostly vegetarian. We usually don't buy/cook meat at home, but he eats tons of eggs and cheese and loves protein shakes. We have 2 kids, and for right now b/c I stay at home with them, they eat vegan all day long, sometimes with parmesan on their dinners b/c they see Dad eating it.

I am just needing some words of advice on how to find the balance - I am constantly reading vegan cookbooks and reading research, and am convinced that dairy and eggs aren't good for our bodies (besides the obvious - not good for the animals), but I want to be respectful of him buying/eating eggs and cheese. I know that tolerance and love/compassion is most important. I can't convert him unless he's ready (and funnily enough, we are entirely different on the religious scope as well). When I smell eggs cooking or see him putting cheese on food, I feel strongly opposed, and that is helpful to reinforce the changes I'm making, but not helpful in the way it makes me feel I need to speak out about it. If I do say something about it, even kindly, he feels disrespected.

Anyone else live with a partner or family member(s) who eat differently? How do you keep the peace and/or keep your mouth shut?
Tsunami
VEGAN1-4-2012
Douglasville, GA
Post #: 1
Hey jess,
I'm vegan for 6mos now,I'm doing it for my health(I have lupus) my hubby and kids r very supportive. They are willing to try anything that I cook. They all love eggs and they have tried my tofu scramble but prefer real eggs. So I just focus on getting veganism right for me and implement it a little at a time for them. U can't force ur beliefs on sum1 that's been eatn this way for many yrs. I no its hard but u can't make a grown man do sumthing he is not willing to do. It will take sum time. I suggest u youtube his favorite food but put VEGAN in the search,for instance my hubby loves mac and cheese so I searched VEGAN mac & cheese and I made it for him while he was at work and he never knew that the cheese was made with cashews and wasn't even REAL dairy cheese and my 15 & 16 yr old sons loved it too. My point is make it b4 he gets home,like the sneaky chef does but its all healthy for him maybe he will change his mind slowly. Or maybe u can take him to a vegan cookin class or take him to CAFE SUNFLOWER,we r going on the 16th and can't wait. May I ask how old r ur kids? Good luck hun & be patient.
Jessica
JessSapoznick
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 61
Monica,
Thanks for your reply! You're right, I can't make him do something he's not willing to do. To his credit, he's good about eating whatever I make for dinner. So believe me, I'm filling him full of good stuff to make up for his late night white flour tortilla and cheddar cheese quesadillas.
Do you have a favorite non-dairy cheese for pizzas and stuff? Pizza is one thing he and the kids love, that I usually make once a week, and I love our family tradition of pizza night.
My kids are almost 2 (my little girl turns 2 next week), and 3.5 (boy).

I do want to check out Cafe Sunflower, heard good things!
Cathy Williams J.
cathynbyrds
Smyrna, GA
Post #: 39
I am fairly newly vegetarian (almost a year!) and am becoming vegan. My husband is a meat eater. We end up eating our meals separately due to this. But I don't have kids, so we don't have to worry about eating as a family.

I wanted to add that I just started eating the Daiya cheese - http://www.daiyafoods...­ (I've tried the cheddar shreds and mozzarella shreds so far, and I'm addicted to them! I eat them right out of the bag!) The cool part is that they're not even made with soy!

GOOD LUCK!
Tsunami
VEGAN1-4-2012
Douglasville, GA
Post #: 2
i just bought daiya today pepperjack and mozzerella,went to wholefoods on ponce,i love that place:) Jessica. there are sum youtube channelsthat i use often zombiegates (the vegan zombie) he has great vids and tglashen for the (vegan/vegetarian pizza) and she also makes the cashew cheese and the vegetarian chicken. i love utube for this type of stuff,good luck and its great that ur startn ur kids off at this age,i wish i had:)
Empress
user 22268531
Lithonia, GA
Post #: 4
Hi Jessica,
as Cathy posted Daiya cheese is pretty popular among vegans. You may also want to try (if you haven't already) Galaxy Foods Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese. It is also sold at Whole Foods (I've seen it at the one on Briarcliff Rd). This cheese is also soy free. I've used Daiya (which I prefer for making cheese toast) and I've used the Galaxy brand which is also nice. I've also made a homemade vegan cheese with almonds and agar agar but the process can be time consuming and you have to eat out the homemade cheese within three days before it spoils.
But I would have suggested something similar to what Monica said. Just prepare vegan meals for your husband and I'm sure he will love it.
:-)