The Atlanta Vegetarian & Vegan Group Message Board Food, food, yummy food! › What do you eat for breakfast?

What do you eat for breakfast?

A former member
Post #: 56
What do you eat for breakfast?

This is the first in a series of questions to assist those new to the vegetarian lifestyle or for those just looking for new choices. Who knows? Your response may show up in our monthly newsletter! If you can, please include the recipe.

A former member
Post #: 12
Hi, I have been a vegetarian for about 15 years. I have two children 9 and 7 who are vegetarians, as well. We eat cereal and soy milk for breakfast. We also do hashbrowns with soy cheese. We also do scrambled tofu. Google that for a recipe. I add in a little nutritional yeast for the yellow color and use firm tofu-season to taste. I crumble the squeezed tofu in a skillet and cook like eggs. Finally, we buy morning star veggie bacon and veggie sausage. Yum. Soul Vegetarian cook book has a great recipe for veggie sausage patties. Also try The Farm cookbook. Written by a group of hippies that live on their own farm. They grow everything and the recipes are simple, basic, and delicious. I will try to get together some recipes..
A former member
Post #: 1
My typical breakfast is a glass of grapefruit juice and a piece or two of fruit. Sometimes peanut butter makes it's way into the mix. Best fruit for breakfast? Persimmons, mangoes, and bananas, depending on the season. Why peanut butter isn't the most common condiment in the world, I do not know. It works with everything I've ever tried. :o)

No offense to the person above or anyone else, but cereal and soy milk? *bleh*
A former member
Oatmeal makes a great start to the morning. Just mix 2 cups water, 1 cut rolled oats, small handful of raisins. cook on medium, stirring 5-10 minutes until desired consistency. You can also cook it in 1 cup water and 1 cup apple juice for a sweeter taste with out sugar.

In the summer shred some apples in a food processor or carrot grater, mix with fresh oats, cinnamon, raisin, and some honey (optional), and mix together for a great cold breakfast.

I usually have fresh fruit or a smoothie. When I know I'm going to be busy I make a large batch of smoothies ahead of time and put them in disposable cups in the freezer, then I can grab one on my way out the door. I usually mix apple juice, frozen bananas, and fresh or frozen berries. Some ground flax seeds, nuts, or avocado will make it more filling.
Rachel

This is the first in a series of questions to assist those new to the vegetarian lifestyle or for those just looking for new choices. Who knows? Your response may show up in our monthly newsletter! If you can, please include the recipe.

A former member
I don't have any new choices, really. Breakfast isn't my best meal. I've gone through periods where I ate better. For a long time, I've eaten too light for breakfast. Maybe a couple of pieces of toast with a vegan spread (Earth Balance). Sometimes I fix an easy tofu dish, which is to cook tofu in olive oil, add a little curry, and then add some kimchi. Being a vegan, I can only get certain brands. One tofu package and one jar or a half jar of kimchi works fine. Add the kimchi late so that you don't really cook it, but just warm it up and mix it with the curried tofu.

I don't have a close place to shop, so I don't get that much fresh fruit, since it spoils before I can eat it. For camping, or even at home, I'll eat dehydrated fruit with a variety of nuts. Living out in the country has big advantages in many ways, but fresh produce, ironically, isn't one of them. Yes, maybe I'll get around to growing my own, but I'm not doing it now.

Sprouting is another option I've done. In fact, I might start doing that again since I'm going food shopping today at Sevanada!
A former member
Post #: 5
On weekday mornings I rotate between oatmeal, grits, cereal with soy milk (what's wrong with that?), soy yogurt or a sandwich. The sandwich is usually nut butter (peanut, almond, or soy) and jam. On the weekends I might make pancakes or tofu scramble. We also indulge in soy sausages and veggie bacon for breakfast on occasion. My son (14) likes all his food plain - plain oatmeal, but cooked with vanilla soymilk (I like the chocolate soy milk myself), grits with just a little Earth Balance, and veggie deli meat with soy cheese sandwiches with no condiments. For myself I also like a 5 element smoothie with protein powder and creatine. When fruit starts to spoil I freeze it and use if for smoothies. (As a side note: If tomatoes are going to spoil, freeze them and use them to make pasta sauce.) The 5 element smoothie contains all five tastes of the tongue and each helps balance different organs (sweet, sour, bitter, salt, and spicey). That translates into fruit, lemon, flax oil, Krystal Salt, and cayenne. I can submit the recipe at a later date.
Adel
user 3536259
Kennesaw, GA
1 apple + 1 banana.
A former member
wow, some sound like too much protein in the morning. steamed potatoes,carrots,olive oil and salt. Yummy!!!!
A former member
Post #: 3
I have my famous secret recipe breakfast burrito or a protein shake:

Soy Milk
Oatmeal
1 banana
1 apple
whey protein scoop
A former member
Post #: 7
Coffee.