The Atlanta Vegetarian & Vegan Group Message Board The Veggie Spot › the I'LL FIND YOU A VEGAN ALTERNATIVE!! thread

the I'LL FIND YOU A VEGAN ALTERNATIVE!! thread

A former member
Post #: 5
Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe
http://www.cosmosvega...­
directions
snacks (to browse via the thread)

I just wanted to add the link to Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe real quick. If you haven't been there you definitely need to check it out. I'd also suggest trying new snacks instead of trying to replace the old ones you might surprise yourself and find something you like even better.
-Trey
Pamela D
user 3289256
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 11
There's a purse there that I've wanted for a while, just have to pay some bills before I spurge! :-)

I opened my bag of Tings last night, and they were pretty good! A bit salty, but I liked them. They're not going to taste just like cheetos but they have the same texture and have a good taste. I'd buy them again!
Idalys (Dulce V.
user 6206066
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
I totally agree with Trey. It's nice to find some alternatives to old favorites, but it's also really fun trying new things. And I've noticed that after being vegan for a while some of your cravings change. I also developed a whole new appreciation for flavors and ingredients I didn't give a second glance to before. Fruit, Veggies and fresh herbs taste so much better now.

My new favorite snack and sometimes meal replacement when you're rushed for time is Pro bars! I love these things!! Cosmo's has the whole line of flavors. They have a decent amount of protein and low in sugar and somehow still taste really good! I'm currently hooked on the "Sweet & Savory Cocoa Pistachio".
A former member
Post #: 1
John you bring up very valuable points about how cats are different than dogs and it is a real task to make them vegan. Cats are "true" carnivores and are not omnivores like canids (dogs) are.
I just want to make a quick point, that we have all chosen to be vegetarians and vegans - we are lucky to make the choice, and have so many foods available to us to choose from. Being a carnivore, is not a cat's choice - that is what they are biologically/physiologically. I think we are taking a huge, unfair step by "choosing" vegetarianism for our cats. You would be sacrificing their health. If you are truly concerned about the consequences of your cat's diet - choose organic foods (petchefga.com) is a great option, or go even further by making your cat's food for them using grass-fed, free-range animals that can be purchased from local farms (www.localharvest.org).
Sorry - don't mean to make my first posting be so negative, but I've been talking with folks all week on other posts regarding pet diets, and the overall consensus is that you can get away with raising a veggie dog, but it's not proper for cats.
thanks,
Becky

This is something I've wrestled with as well. I'm not comfortable with the hidden cruelty behind my cats' food, but I don't want to gamble with their health, either.

Nature designed cats to be predators and as such their bodies require proteins and other nutrients found in meat, like taurine, amino & fatty acids, and vitamins A & D. Unlike some other mammals (like dogs) they can't manufacture these compounds on their own. I once saw cats on TV that were fed vegetarian diets lacking in taurine and they went irreversibly blind because of it.

Vegan cat food companies claim that these nutrients can be synthesized from other sources and that cats can thrive on their foods. But keep in mind that pet care companies don't always have your pets' best interests in mind. For instance, the oil in cedar chips is a irritant for rodents' eyes (which lack the tear ducts to expel it), causing constant itching and inflamation. Yet cedar chips are marketed as an ideal bedding for mice and rats. Another example is cat litter. Clay and silica litter both contain silicon dust, which is a known carcinogen to cats and humans alike.

http://possible-world...­ seems to be a good starting point for more research about vegan cats. I'd strongly recommend that you talk to a variety of vets about this to get a good mix of opinions. If they all think its a bad idea, it might be. But if you're insistent on turning your cats vegan, find a vet open-minded enough to understand your values and work with you to monitor your cats' health.

A former member
Post #: 82
I commend you for that challenge. Seriously, if I were you I would start inputing vegan meals slowly until then. Rebecca

I agree. I've been doing that for almost a week now. I'd recommend starting slowly to everyone.

My new activity these days is is watching Food Network and veganizing the recipes that I like. So on Everyday Italian, she made chicken wrap with arugula and parsley aioli. I substituted seitan for the chicken and for the aioli... veganaise for the mayo.. it also called for yogurt.. but since I hadn't tasted soy-gurt yet, I left it out, blended my aioli ingredients together and it was still really good!!

Becky, welcome! all opinions are welcomed here with Atlanta Vegetarians & Vegans, as long as they are presented in a positive way. So, you're good!
REBECCA
user 5998951
Mc Kenzie, TN
Post #: 6
Thanks for the responses about the cat food. I think range-free for now is best for my cats(as bad as I hate it).
A former member
Post #: 84
So the TINGS??

Yummy!! And while I was @ Cosmos I got a chance to pick up one of Idalys' creations. Dulce, you rock!

Ok, question... what's the best melting, great tasting "cheese"? I'm making a vegan mac & cheese for a family get together (July 4th) and I need a good on to put on top. Last time, I didn't put any on top and I gotta do it this time.
Idalys (Dulce V.
user 6206066
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 4
Thanks!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! biggrin

Vegan mac & cheese... I usually just make it with nutritional yeast cheesyness, and skip topping it off. I haven't tried a cheddar that tastes good and melts well. There is a smoked cheddar called "Sheese" that's pretty tasty for sandwiches. And for pizza, cheesy bread or calzones, there's an AWESOME melty mozzarella called "Teese". Cosmo's carries both, which is great because they're a little hard to find otherwise.
Pamela D
user 3289256
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 16
Sheriss, my advice on cheese is... don't bother. :-( I haven't tried all of the alternatives certainly, but the ones I have tried have been pretty nasty. Cheese is the one thing from my vegetarian days that seems impossible to replace with a good tasting alternatives.

Having said that, there are some newer kinds coming out that I haven't tried and that are supposed to be good. Dr. Cow is one of those. Teese is supposed to taste good melted like on pizza. Cosmo's carries Teese by the way. Dr. Cow does not have a big distribution though and so you will need to hunt it down.
Flo
southernyogini
Newnan, GA
Post #: 11
Hi!
I love Cosmos. Leigh is super sweet and I sell some of my bags there as well.
I recently fell in love with May Wah Citrus ribs. I picked them up at cosmos and they are YUMMY!
I make homemade vegan fried rice (with brown rice) and it is a great meal.
You can also pick up May Wah Chick Nuggets and they are some of the tastiest ones I've had.
MUCH better than boca. I drive all the way from Newnan to Cosmo's because of their selection and supporting their business.

For me going from Vegetarian to Vegan was only difficult because of my love of cheese...but not the love of the dairy industry.
So giving up cheese was hard. I have found that Tesse is a good alternative and can be purchased at Cosmo's.
It melts well on pizzas and pastas.
I also have the ultimate uncheese cookbook and would love to email you recipes if you want.
I make gooey grileld cheese sandwhices and they are pretty good! :)

HUGS