addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Vegetarian & Vegan Group Message Board Here's to you! › Your take on Shiitake

Your take on Shiitake

A former member
Post #: 9
I'm wondering...what is your take on shiitake? Specifically, consuming mushrooms and other fungi such as yeast as a spiritual vegan. I am aware that certain types of mushrooms are often cultivated in compost made primarily of animal feces (to make them grow!). Fungi feed off cells and other organisms and unlike plants, do not derive their energy from the sun.

I haven't found any discussions that provide further insight into this, so I'd love to hear some opinions.