align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Atlanta Business Connection Message Board Archived Discussion › Atlanta Black Professionals: WHAT ARE WE WAITING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta Black Professionals: WHAT ARE WE WAITING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pierre D.
user 4852863
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
Washington Mutual needs major help to keep from collapsing. Lehman Bros is asking for taxpayer money to keep it afloat. AIG is in trouble because of its investments in sub-prime mortgages. Unemployment benefit filings are up in Georgia. Crude oil is down to $100 a barrel yet gasoline is still selling at $3.60 a gallon here in Atlanta. And in this group we have people who are looking to move beyond their current situation because they are not pleased with where they are. Has there ever been a better time to start a business? Some of the best companies EVER started were done so by people with nothing to lose at the time because they had nothing. The founders were unemployed or under-employed and they started a firm rather than beg someone to hire them or stay economically disadvantaged. We have over 2,000 members in this group. Many of the companies I am speaking about today were started by 1/10th of 1% of the number of members we have. Let's get moving here people. We need to start businesses with staying power. We have people in this group who can run the companies, fund them, sell products for them and market and advertise them. If we put all the resources of the professionals in this group together we could make something strong as an ox and have the staying power that black companies normally don't have. Banks loan money when you HAVE money, not when you NEED money. The government helps when THEY get something out of it, not when the INDIVIDUAL does. I am ready to help wherever I can to make a company that is started by members of this group a reality. It is not about ME, it is about US. It's about looking out for others and not just ourself. Martin Luther King wanted civil rights for his people but what he really wanted was EMPOWERMENT. I am an organizer of 2 meetup groups with nowhere near the membership of this group, yet it is what we discuss at each meeting. Let us all be the LEADER and set the trends for others to follow. And let's start NOW.
Leroy B.
cmmlcapital
Duluth, GA
Post #: 1
Hello Pierre,

Excellent observation! I was just recently on the phone speaking with someone regarding this very matter. Now is the time to capitalize on a failing economy. If there has ever been a better time to position yourself and your company, the time is NOW. We all know the old strategy to gain wealth "Buy Low and Sell High". But what does that truly mean, Create opportunity when it would appear that is None. I talked with a young gentleman yesterday evening and he specialized in writing business plans. I also spoke with a young lady who specialized in marketing, another in insurance, another in staffing. We all committed to doing business together.

I guess the point of the matter is this, we all have to get out of our comfort zone and do things that we typically would not do. It is often said, we have not, because we ask not. I would offer a slight modification, we have not, because we do not. Do something different today. Talk to someone different today. Read something different today. Expect something different today.

On another point, Pierre, we offer financing opportunities based upon stock valuations and commodities. At some point, I would like to discuss this further with you. Take care.
A former member
Post #: 2
From my own personal experience I thoroughly enjoy working for someone else. I like getting a regular paycheck with benefits and leaving the stress of running the business to someone else. But I love what I do and am pretty happy being a cog-in-the-wheel at this point in my life (this may change in a few years).

What I am interested in doing is starting my own non-profit group. I know that there are plenty out there but I have very definite ideas of what I want to do and no idea how to even start. If anyone has any experience in this area I would greatly appreciate your input and guidance on how to get started. I'm keeping an eye on this forum hoping that any start-up business info might help with non-profit start-up.
A former member
I am a member of Atlanta Nonprofit Meetup Group at http://nonprofit.meet...­.
Some of their members are starting a seminar to walk folks through how to start a nonprofit. You may want to consider joining that group and posting your need.
A former member
Post #: 15
Because of all these morons who bought houses they couldn't afford, and who were too cheap to pay an attorney to brush over the documents before signing, and outbidding the responsible buyers with good credit, now is a good time to buy a house.

My God, if you've got 20% to put down on a home, the house is YOURS! A good time to buy a car is from November to December this year. With the elections, the holidays, and the rush for dealerships to empty out their inventory before the new tax year, the markdown for an automobile should be substantial.

It's also a good time to save. Cut costs wherever you can, especially in gasoline department. Make sure your car never touches I-85, I-285, and I-20. For the cost of 3 gallons of gas, you can get a MARTA pass that can take you all over Fulton and Dekalb county for a week. Use your car for, literally, a rainy day.
A former member
Post #: 3
If we all really want to help each other, we need to support each others businesses. Some of the African American businesses need to step up their game as well be providing quality service. Please don't put shanique at the door with the ghetto girl attitude, or hand me a menu that has been scratched out. Image and quality service will keep people coming back. We need to erase the negative image black business have.
A former member
Post #: 19
LOL. So true, Christal!
Stanley M.
user 7933360
Atlanta, GA
If we all really want to help each other, we need to support each others businesses. Some of the African American businesses need to step up their game as well be providing quality service. Please don't put shanique at the door with the ghetto girl attitude, or hand me a menu that has been scratched out. Image and quality service will keep people coming back. We need to erase the negative image black business have.
Very well stated Christal. I do support black businesses and I have lots of patience with my brothers and sisters. When I see poor service, I will point it out and give them the opportunity to correct them before I stop doing business with them. But you're so right, we have to step our game. I think it starts with valuing ourselves and we will know that our black clients deserve the best and that's what we're going to provide. But on the other hand if you think that you the owner do not deserve the best, then you will not provide it to your clients.
AntonioBlog.com
antonioblog.com
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 79

Great point Christal.

I think one of the challenges is to define "quality". Though you may have an idea of what quality means to you...others may fall way short of your expectations... not because they don't care ...but because they don't know any better.

Shanique may be the owner's sister or friend (who is probably just as ghetto as Shanique) and doesn't know any better. So, you've got one ghetto business owner plus their ghetto friend at the front door = a total mess.

As Stanley and Pierre said, we need to communicate to others when we see them slipping - Each One Teach One.

Additionally, WE (as professionals) have to lead by example.
Pierre D.
user 4852863
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 35
Wall St stands to lose 165,000 jobs in the next year. We know how many firms there are still in trouble. Many private equity firms will also be letting people go. Not a good year.

Those firms own companies that, as of this moment, are in deep financial trouble. Still feeling good about being an employee? I wouldn't be if it was me.

Take a look around. Ask for help from some of the professionals in this group. But don't wait to be downsized to take ACTION.

Find your passion or joy and create. If you have a small business expand it. But as I said before, this group should lead by example and leadership in corporate America has slipped. So lead yourself. No better time than the present.