align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
A former member
Post #: 103
...Beyonce's new album title slash alter-ego.

I feel, after Mariah Carey's "Mimi" and Britney Spears' sporadic British-cockney accent, that we as a people have had an impacted ass full of the alter-egos. Is it some kind of mandate that women in pop must have some pseudo bi-polar sassy "Miss Hyde" side before they can continue selling records? Good grief. This is unequivocally pathetic.

Here's a track worth an honorable mention:

Single Ladies

I think the hook goes like this:

If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it...

In other words, "If you liked my vagina, you should have bought it. Make a purchase for god sakes! How long did you think you'd be able to stomp up and down the aisle, thumbing through the various other vaginas and trying them on, before someone was going to eventually come along, snatch mine off the hanger, run it through the scanner, and walk the hell out of the store?"

What I've noticed about the music that's been around for 30, 40, and hundreds of years is that it spoke to the soul of men and women. These songs weren't always positive. You had your occasional blues and country hits. You had 'Papa Was a Rolling Stone'. That wasn't necessarily an uplifting song, but it was art.

The vast majority of the music I listen to, comes from dead people. Why? Because, the art has been surgically removed from the music of today. Today's music is essentially a bitch fest musical.

Once you've removed the music theory...
Once you've removed live instruments...
Once you've done away with poetic lyrics...
Once you've disposed of the psychology of chord progression...
Once you allow people with no life experience outside of their living room couch, to 'write' songs...

...what you have left is yesterday's household lover's spat with a synthesizer in the background. And this kind of music, my friends, will not last. Answer this for me. Will anybody be listening to the 'Sasha Fierce' album in the year 2020? Absolutely not. Nobody is listening to the Destiny's Child album that came out in 1998 right now, are they? This music is as disposable as last week's baby wipes. The songs contain these basic plots:

Some woman is upset that some man is not paying the price tag she has put on her vagina.
Some man was dishonest about his homosexual tendencies.
Some hoodrat needs to buy a product to make him/her appear wealthier than the hoodrat next door.
Some man needs to hate another man because he lives in a different geographical location.

...and who wants to keep listening to that for the next 30, 40, 100 years?
Nekesha
Nekesha
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 9
I agree with you……partially. I too am increasingly frustrated by the direction popular music is going. However, the argument that this music won’t stand the test of time is age old and is often wrong. For centuries, new emerging art forms have been criticized. In the early 20th century emerging R&B artists’ music was criticized for being inferior to jazz and traditional blues. Same applies when 50s & 60s rock n roll first came on to the scene. We can even go back to the 18th century when Beethoven was considered a ‘pop’ artist in Europe. He was widely criticized for his music lacking depth and lacking 'traditional' music theory of that time; but today, hundreds of years later, he’s a household name and the theoretical concepts (or lack of) he introduced are considered classical. You know, it’s really just too difficult to predict where human consciousness will be decades or even centuries from now; as a result, who’s to say what music from today will be deemed as ‘classic.’ Only time will tell.
Natasha C.
user 7709960
New Orleans, LA
Post #: 1
There is no substance and privacy in music anymore. You can tell that the respect level between the sexes is very low. It all started with 2 live crew. When women allowed themselves to be inadamate objects, the battle began. Back then, subject matter was about being in longterm, family oriented relationships. Now they only speak of the right now. But thats what happens when women allow themselves to be a sample instead of a full course meal.
A former member
Post #: 2
It's mostly trash in my opinion. I can't listen to music that emotes such negative energy.
A former member
Post #: 78
It's mostly trash in my opinion. I can't listen to music that emotes such negative energy.

Not to sound ignorant, but why are you listening to it then? One has to open themselves to listening to know that so much music "emotes negativity", no?

I have not heard the entirety of any of Beyonce's new CD. Why? Because I listen to the radio no more than a couple times a month AND I do not watch videos. Funny how I don't notice or feel the need to complain about the state of music anymore...
A former member
Post #: 104
I understand what you're saying. I don't listen to music radio or watch videos anymore either. The only reason why I heard mention of Beyonce's new album was because it was a commercial on the talk radio station I listen to broadcast from Los Angeles. I haven't watched the Grammy's, BET Awards, BET, MTV, or VH1 since the 90s.
A former member
Post #: 1
I also listen to the oldies religiously, and agree that some of this new music will not stand the test of time. But it is all not supposed to. Single Ladies is supposed to be a fun, dance sound and I think some of you are missing the point. It has "catchy" sound and all music is not supposed to "talk to the soul". Music is a way to be able to express yourself. She should be able to express herself just like anyone else. Y'all artsy types are being hypocritical! Stop hating! ”
Leroy B.
cmmlcapital
Duluth, GA
Post #: 9
I agree, every time I get in the car I have to censor the radio station. Understandingly as a father, I am disheartened with the fact that it is very difficult to listen to the radio or watch television without feeling like our airwaves and ears, eyes, heart, mind, body & spirit are emblazened with negative, sexually explicit, and gender abuse media on a daily basis without regard to age, gender, race, or any other classification. Not to mention, there are individuals and organizations attacking churches and church leaders with the intent of ensuring that their message is squelched.

On the other hand, I don't have a personal issue with Beyonce, her music or message. I believe everyone should have a right to free speech. As a adults, we are responsible for determining fact or fiction. But I do have a problem when fantasy becomes reality (i.e. when kids kill, men destroy families, & women feel insignificant, etc.). Unfortunately, many of us are so desensitized that we just accept it as reality.

But who really is at fault, the musician, the industry, or we as the public for buying it. But I guess, my real question is this. Despite what you feel about Beyonce or any other R&B performer or rapper, what will you do differently. If this is your passion, will you work to change it or just talk about it 30, 40 or 50 years from now?
A former member
Post #: 2
As a parent, if you feel that the music or television is too explicit for your child, than be the parent and don't expose them to it. I am tired of people getting upset about how celebrities conduct their lives, saying they should be a role model for your children! You create the role models for your children. It is your responsibility. Those celebs are living their lives just like we are. STOP HATING! Live and let live. I restrict my children from what I don't want them to watch or listen to. I am also not worried about what they pick up at school because I am putting my time in as a parent. I know that my children know how to make good choices when they are not with me.
A former member
Post #: 105
No I will not stop hating. As long as crappy music like 'Single Ladies' continues to get made, I will express my opinion. I will criticize. From a business standpoint music that doesn't stand the test of time will not produce residuals for the band that produced it which means we'll keep getting clones of Beyonce, Mary J, and Lil Wayne over and over again. It's not about being 'artsy'. It's about maximizing profits.