Austin All-Girl Hack Night Message Board › new movie about a female programmer -- you can help make it good
|A former member||
Hi everyone. I would like your help for a minute so I can do your profession justice in an upcoming movie.
I'm a professional screenwriter in L.A. (IMDB listing: http://www.imdb.com/n... ) and I'm finishing up a screenplay wherein the lead role is an 18-year-old female programmer. The movie will be shot later this year and released in 2013.
I want to make sure the lead character is realistic. She's the heroine of the movie, but she has flaws, of course (or she'd be boring). But she's sympathetic and witty, too. (It's a romantic comedy, BTW).
I'd like to ask a few questions of you all to help me fashion a character that you all can identify with. I respect what you all do, and I want to bring out the best in your profession. Of course, it's a movie, so there will be dramatic license, but I absolutely hate cliches and I want to avoid it with this character.
If you could take a minute to answer some or all of these questions, it would help me make this girl a character you'd be glad to see portraying your profession.
1. What are the misconceptions about female programmers you'd like to correct?
2. Why did you become a programmer?
3. What is your goal as a programmer? To be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or write the next Draw Something app?
4. Were you encouraged as a young girl to be a programmer, or were you discouraged?
5. Do you feel social media apps, the internet, and gaming have drawn people closer or driven them apart?
6. What is you favorite part of your job?
7. What part of your job do you hate?
8. Are guys intimidated by your job and how smart you are, or do they find it attractive?
9. Do you find it hard to socialize? Does your profession naturally lead to isolation? If so, do you make an effort to socialize? Do you think loners make better programmers?
10. What do you think of the female nerds on TV like in Bones, Criminal Minds, CSI, and Mayim Bialik in Big Bang Theory?
Thanks in advance for your help.