addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin Clojure Meetup Message Board › Clojure Cup ideas

Clojure Cup ideas

James
user 7494696
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
Unity3d announced a new version in the last day or so. (It's a commercial game engine with free pieces that can export to HTML5...one of the 3 languages it can use is javascript).

I haven't looked at clojurescript at all. How hard would it be to use that to get some sort of game going on that platform?
Norman R.
normanrichards
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 45
Looking at the rules, I don't see anything in the rules prohibiting that. I'm guessing learning a framework, creating assets and coding a game would be too steep of a curve, but something like this could be a lot of fun. Care to investigate some? I'd be more than happy to meet up somewhere this weekend if you want to give it a try. Otherwise, we can Clojure Cup discussions monday night. We need to register teams and actually pick ideas.
Norman R.
normanrichards
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 46
For a game idea, 9-board tic-tac-toe seems interesting. Either with a simple AI or with human opponents. Instead of X's on O's, it could be λ's and ()'s ?
Norman R.
normanrichards
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 47
One more: Clojure Quiz - take easy 4clojure-style problems but make the problems come in real time with people working on the same problem at the same time. The first person to enter a correct solution wins that problem.
James
user 7494696
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
I had something that vaguely resembles another thought. I don't know how many of us are interested in graphics programming, but some sort of 3-d WebGL thing seems like it might be an interesting task.

Actually wrapping up the javascript seems like the mind-numbingly boring part, with bonus points for stealing as much as possible from penumbra. That also seems like it might qualify as a "general purpose" library that could be done before hand. Then the whole point of the demo would be to come up with something cool using that library.

That might be bending the rules, though.

Another thought that I'm very iffy about:

What about using clojurescript for something resembling a game using the free version of Unity 3d?
Dar M.
user 107909402
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Here's a few thoughts and ideas for projects:

• A bitcoin miner - This may be a good project to get familiar with Clojure's concurrency features.
  • Extend the weather map project to include a service to provide gardening advise (when to water, fertilize, cover, shade, plant/replant, harvest, etc.).
  • I like the Core Wars idea and found a good description on Coding Horror .
  • Hacker News for a non-hacker topic (finance, sports, politics, celebrity gossip, etc.)
  • An RSS reader

Norman R.
normanrichards
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 48
A real bitcoin client in the browser might be too slow to actually show anything interesting, but how about ClojureCoin? We could use git repositories and forks (using the github APIs) to manage the ClojureCoin blockchain, which means that we could spend all of the time working on higher level details like providing a web-based miner or a blockchain.info like explorer.
Norman R.
normanrichards
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 49
ScoreKeeper - An app for keeping score in games. The primary use case I'm thinking of would be kids sporting event where a parent wants to communicate the current game score/results to the other parent or grandparents in real time, probably through a web app running on a phone. The recording person would set up a new game and record changes in score through a simple interface. They would also invite other people to view the page and get the realtime scores.
Dar M.
user 107909402
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I was thinking that the bitcoin miner could provide a minimal web interface to display its mining stats. Mining is starting to require specialized hardware so it's unlikely a browser based miner could become profitable.

Creating a new currency sounds really cool too! If we go that route then we should find a way to compete with other digital currencies.

I really like the ScoreKeeper idea. We need to find a way to differentiate it from ScoreStream. Pre-populating with local games would probably be a good start. There's a Clojure web crawler on GitHub that might help.
dstrawn
user 29585162
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hi guys! Cool ideas so far.

Just wanted to share an idea for a Clojure Cup project:

A shared, online coding environment. It is designed for use in hack sessions and coding competitions. The web front end consists of:

-IRC style single channel chatroom
-A file system tree containing the source code
-live personal REPL

Some Functonality details:
-each file has read only access for all members
-each file can only have a single editor at a time
-each file has an owner, who begins as editor of that file, but can reassign someone else as an editor
-users can load anyone's files into their personal REPL

Reasons why this is a good project for CC:
-feasible to do in the time allotted
-high presentation value
-appealing to target audience(coding competition goers)
-original(I think?)
-might be useful

Any thoughts?

I'd also be willing to lead a team if need be. However, to be generous, my Clojure skills are 'intermediate,' so it would be good to have a technical lead for the project, too :)