Austin Cycling Meetup Message Board › newbies group

newbies group

Caron B
ZetaBlueLady
Austin, TX
Post #: 84
I have a hybrid....can't afford a road bike yet

Do you have a mountain bike or a road bike? They are working on building the Plum Creek hike and bike trail in Kyle. I don't know any others here. We could go to Mckinney Falls state park in south Austin. They have 2 bike trails. There are also some near town lake with potential and we can try the Velloway. I hear there is one over near south Mopac that is good for beginners and also maybe Mary Moore Searight park on Slaughter Ln.
Can you do Sunday afternoons?

Dr. Gregg R.
user 11857706
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 2
I have a Trek Madone 3.1. Rides on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Best route to San Marcos is Old Stage Coach past 5 mile dam (there is a great route to continue on towards New Braunfels but that is a big day. Also another route on the east side of 35...Hwy 21 and I forgot the rest of the roads...try to stay off the feeder roads. really nice rides to wimberly or to lockhart also. Blanco has some monster hills as well, don't forget Devils Backbone.
Cheryl
user 14154973
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
I'm sort of but maybe not completely a newbie, but am interested in any 20+ mile rides. Working on my speed and frequency of rides.smile

Look forward to the rides you post Marilyn, thanks!

I think we definitely need another level of rides available.
Janet P
user 25537992
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
I'm interested. Please post when you do this!
Marilyn
user 5831964
Kyle, TX
Post #: 133
I can't even imagine doing a 20 mile ride at this point :( I am going to have to start out small and work my way up. I suppose if we start small, then we can just do the route multiple times if it is too short...
Caron B
ZetaBlueLady
Austin, TX
Post #: 85
I can't even imagine doing a 20 mile ride at this point :( I am going to have to start out small and work my way up. I suppose if we start small, then we can just do the route multiple times if it is too short...

Marilyn, thanks for doing this. Most I've done is 10 so far, but I was by myself and nothing to egg me on...
Dr. Gregg R.
user 11857706
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 3
riding with a group will reduce your output because of drafting. makes the workload more doable. although, since a hybrid is heavier and less aerodynamic it makes it a bit more difficult...this weekend looks a little chilly but a mid afternoon ride is possible...just have to bundle
Janet P
user 25537992
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
Marilyn, I think we have a quorum. Do you feel comfortable posting a ride? I'm sure Mike and Molly would be supportive. If you want I can ask them to recommend a 12 to 15 mile fairly easy ride. I think going from 10 to 15 shouldn't be that hard. I've done 30 but only once and it took 2 hours because I am slow. I want to get faster before I ride with this group but endurance isn't a huge problem for me.
Dr. Gregg R.
user 11857706
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 4
We can meet at Barton Middle School at 2PM Saturday or Sunday. Winds out of the NE at 11mph with 56 degrees on Saturday out of the SE at 10mph with 57 degrees on Sunday
Dr. Gregg R.
user 11857706
San Marcos, TX
Post #: 6
I'm going to ride out to Barton today if the weather holds up but may be too cold and a band of sleet has developed north of San Antonio. The weather system continues to lift northeast so the afternoon looks questionable.