addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 344
Hi everyone,

I am new on the bike and did my first long ride with Jack and Adams last Sunday. But I also walked away with a nice little carpal tunnel flare up. I wanted your advice on this and how to prevent from more experienced riders. Since I am new I - #1) stayed in one position the whole time #2) did not wear gloves #3) can not relax fully so I am sure I am putting extra pressure on my wrists. What does everyone think I can do? I REALLY want to go on another ride this weekend as this is all so much fun plus I have a triathlon in 3 weeks. Help please :)
Scott
user 9403801
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Hi Becky,

Have you ever been "fitted" on your bike? This where someone from a bike shop puts you and your bike on the stationary training and makes an assessment of your position, seat height, stem length, etc. to make sure you're in the right position. The right position might alleviate your problem. My hands go numb when I ride sometimes so I know I'm putting too much pressure on them and I need to go it for a fitting too. Gloves will help and not holding on to the bars so tightly might help as well. Good luck--

Scott

Hi everyone,

I am new on the bike and did my first long ride with Jack and Adams last Sunday. But I also walked away with a nice little carpal tunnel flare up. I wanted your advice on this and how to prevent from more experienced riders. Since I am new I - #1) stayed in one position the whole time #2) did not wear gloves #3) can not relax fully so I am sure I am putting extra pressure on my wrists. What does everyone think I can do? I REALLY want to go on another ride this weekend as this is all so much fun plus I have a triathlon in 3 weeks. Help please :)

A former member
Post #: 345
Thanks for the advice...I finally made an appointment to get a pro fit tomorrow. That should help. And I'll get some good gloves also. Hopefully no more issues after this :)
Thomas M.
user 13830857
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
There are three positions when you ride: 1. In the drops 2. On the hoods or 3. Grip the bar close to the head stem. The third position is used for climbing up hills. Rotating your hands in different positions will help your problem. Make sure your elbows are slightly bent. Once you start adding on the miles you might want to consider aero-bars.
A former member
Post #: 346
Thanks for everyone's help. It turns out that MJ's sold me a bike that was too big. I had a 52 and turns out I am a 50, so I was reaching too far no matter what they did on the 52. I didn't catch it and neither did they b/c I am a) a newbie and b) hard to fit as I understand my perfect size would be in between the two. My 50 is on order as they didn't have one in the shop and they gave me a loner for a week. So hopefully problem solved :)