Austin Cycling Meetup Message Board › Emergency Contact Number

Emergency Contact Number

Thomas Meade
user 13830857
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
We had a rider that went down today on the Steiner Ranch Ride. She hit the turn lane barrier on 620. I’m not sure about all the details but she did crack 5 ribs, put a gash in her head, and some road rash. Jaime did a great job rendering first aid. As a reminder, please make sure your emergency contact number is updated. A simple laminated 3X5 card works fine carried in jersey pocket.
Jack Williams
user 48410282
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
RoadID is a great investment for anyone, http://www.roadid.com...­

This does not circumvent the need to keep the Emergency Contact info up to date with the fine folk keeping this group humming; however, had this cyclist been unable to speak for herself, the roadid would have empowered caregivers/first respondents.

I never ride my bike without my RoadID. I'm particularly fond of the interactive product as it allows changes to made to the data shared with first respondents. Small price to pay to keep your loved ones plugged into your active lifestyle.

Regards,

j a c k
Allison
Allison1229
Austin, TX
Post #: 162
This is a great reminder, Tom, thanks! Jack, my understanding is that our rider had Road ID, too, and her registered contact info was out of date.

I have a "HOME" listing in my iPhone that I have always hoped will serve the same purpose if someone were looking. I will probably change it to "EMERGENCY CONTACTS" now.

And on that note I always encourage cyclists to keep their phone in their jersey pockets rather than on their bikes for emergencies. Although if injured badly getting to a phone might be hard for bystanders; however, I've read a blog post by a man whose phone was kept in his saddle bag and when he had a wreck out alone he was unable to reach the phone to call for help himself.

I guess no approach is perfect.

Jaime Myhre
user 43342472
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 1
Kelly had her Road ID, thankfully. That is how I contacted her husband. Unfortunately, he was in Houston for the Iron Man. He was able to call other people to meet her at the hospital. I highly recommend the Interactive Road ID, which is what I have. It has all my medical info/meds, emergency contacts, etc. just by calling the phone number or going online.

She is planning on making her triumphant return at the Couples Tri in July. I'm honored to be her partner-in-crime. She's one hard-headed woman. LOL!
Thomas Meade
user 13830857
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
Sound like Kelly is doing well if she is planning on doing a tri in July. I’m the one who is guilty for shooting out the house without having ID or emergency contact numbers. It’s probably because of the old days when you knew all your biking buddies and who you rode with. Jack and Jamie have great testimony for the importance of Road ID. Thanks!