Austin Cycling Meetup Message Board › Who rides 734 (Parmer/Ronald Reagan) in Cedar Park/Leander??

Who rides 734 (Parmer/Ronald Reagan) in Cedar Park/Leander??

lisa
Rocket_Flamingo
Leander, TX
Post #: 18
Howdy! I'm new to the group though not the avid Cyclist I used to be. I'm an old broad now, my barrell racing days have caught up with me but when the weather's just right, the air is crisp and there's a slight breeze, I have been known to take my bike from it's hook and tool around the neighborhood some. I live right close to the intersection of 2243 and Parmer, and I know a lot of y'all ride that trip turning around at 2243.

So I'm curious, now that they've posted rezoning notices, and the plan - as I understand it - is to build an 80,000sf HEB on that corner, which probably means a lot of driveways and crazy drivers, would an HEB scare you as much as thinking about riding around it scares me?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts smile

Lisa
david
user 2937740
Austin, TX
Post #: 111
I just found my way to this group. This is my part of town, so I'll be spending a lot of miles doing out/back toward Andice. I was hardly on the bike last year, so this is a complete reboot for me. I'll do mountain bike too. I hope I see some of you "northies" out there soon.
Cheryl
user 14154973
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Would love to do some saturday or sunday rides on Parmer. There was one that showed up sometimes last year. I'm not very fast (maybe average 11 or 12 mph), so working on my speed. If some rides there get posted I'd be very interested. Can do about 20 miles, but have gone all the way to the end of Parmer where it Ts with some other road and have gone to Andice a time or two but had to work up to it and will need to again.
david
user 2937740
Austin, TX
Post #: 112
Bicycle Sport Shop on Parmer has a fast 50 mi and 24 mi beginner - inter. group every Saturday morning at 9:00am.
John C.
user 16222121
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
AJs does rides on Saturdays at 8:00am
Cheryl
user 14154973
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Awesome! Was looking at doing the Creedmore ride south, but knowing I'll get dropped was getting nervous because I haven't been able to find a good map solution (mapmyride is ok, but want something with more in it like a turn by turn list). I'll do the 24 on Parmer tomorrow then with BSS. Thanks!
lisa
Rocket_Flamingo
Leander, TX
Post #: 19
For those of you who do the ride from 1431 to 2243/Hwy 29, life for you is going to change for the worse :( Despite our pleas to the Leander City Council; which included the fact that there are a number of rare and Federally perhaps even Internationally protected species of birds that nest there, concerns over safety for Rouse HS cross country teams and bike riders, the City of Leander City Council ignored even the legal arguments of Jennifer Riggs (Aleshire & Riggs) that the City was engaging in "Spot Zoning" which is an illegal behavior, and voted unanimously to rezone the Beasley Tract - the SW corner of 2243 and Parmer/Ronald Reagan to GC2B (General Commercial and Single Family Residential) with a 400' x 400' area on the corner to be zoned GC3C which would permit a gas station to be built or operate. What does that mean to you?

By zoning a lot that has been, since at least 1972 zoned single family residential, and has four (4) homes on it, to heavy commercial, the possibility exists that new cut-ins will be installed on Ronald Reagan Blvd./Parmer which could put the lives of bicycle riders at risk by drivers who make sudden, unexpected lane changes to get into the left turn lanes that will be built. It means that your views are no longer going to be as "scenic" as they have been, because this would mark a starting point for the Reagan Parmer Corridor (Association) which is presently unbuilt for commercial development all the way to Hwy 29. Despite the fact that the City's own Comprehensive Plan updated in 2009 showing that this "node" was never intended for Commercial Development, somebody thought that since they were never able to attract anybody to the Transit Oriented District (TOD), they might be able to get a much less-travelled roadway to attract commercial development. Although the most practical areas for commercial develop in order to build a "Sustainable Tax Base" being 183A frontage roads, this beautiful section of improved roadway, which used to be a winding ride of many beautiful miles, it is the opinion of the City (and those landowners along the corridor who want to get the most money possible for their land) that this area should become the new commercial hub for Leander.

What can you do? You can contact Jeff Griffith 512-633- 2645 and Maggie McLening 512-528-1031 and let them know that you want to join the group opposed to the rezoning of this corner as Commercial. The City Council did not know that rare Great Herons are nesting in the trees that grow along Brushy Creek in the Riparian Zone from 183A frontage road to Parmer/Ronald Reagan. They did not know that the flooding from heavy rains during the drought are significant and rise to the 3' mark on the flood gauge the city installed at the low water entrance to Ridgmar Landing. The City doesn't know if there are any rare salamanders in that creek because that's not a part of the creek they ever bothered to check. The City doesn't realize that just because one resident who has lived in the Ridgmar Landing subdivision for 32 years has never seen a "high water event" of any significance, that building on that corner means leveling that corner which would destroy the natural runoff ditches created over time from erosion or the fact that the property on that corner is higher than the land on the other side of the creek and leveling that land will cause residents on the other side of the creek substantial damage and destruction. Given what the City Council did not know about or care about, do you think they're going to care about you?

Despite the facts about accidents and a fatality at that intersection, the representative of 360 Group, the consultants for the property owner who stood before the City Council and said there was no history of any fatal accidents at that intersection, the fact is that there have been numerous accidents at that intersection including a fatality!

Our last opportunity to save the one beautiful part of Leander that has not been destroyed by construction of roads or housing developments is an appeal to the City Council's decision. And to be successful in that appeal, we need your input. I know that hundreds of bicyclists ride that route every day and even more on the weekends. How many roadways have you lost due to greedy decisions of local governments who don't give a damn about the residents who actually live there or the bicyclists who ride there?

It's time to say NO to greedy landowners and the questionable intentions of the City Council and mayor who ran on the "Keep Leander Small" platform and turned around to assure property owners they would get what they wanted to "grow Leander". And let's not forget Jim Bechtol, he's so proud to be with the City Planning department he doesn't even list his current position on his linked-in page! He talks about the deplorable job he "used to have" for five years with the city on his golf web site AND he and his dad run a housing development company. Conflict of Interest?? Totally!

We pay taxes and our concerns should be heard. Right now these greedy land owners are paying only a few dollars an acre for their Agriculturally zone properties! Homeowners near the corner pay thousands more! This is insanity at it's finest. These City Council members are bound by law to be governed by the Comprehensive Plan when making zoning decisions and there is nothing in the Comprehensive Plan that indicates this corner should be commercially developed. Homeowners never stood a chance. It was a foregone conclusion. It's time to get everybody who cares about this beautiful ride together and really let the City Council know how you feel! This may just be one more ride that you don't have anymore, but what happens when there aren't any? Make your voices be heard. Join the Appeal.

Thank you.