align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Austin Fantasy and Science Fiction (Book) Club Message Board › Dies The Fire - Thoughts

Dies The Fire - Thoughts

Peter T.
telckavich
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
Here is what I got from this book.

1. S.M. Stirling is a former D&D/LARPER who got picked on a lot in school who could not grow out of his shell. He was picked on by the nerds who got PHD's and good jobs and everyone else. Therefore what does he do? He busts out his typewriter and writes a fuck you manifesto showing how he and those like him will be ready when the shit hits the fan... only if you take away guns and make us fight in ways he has been dreaming and rolling dice about for so many years.

2. Is there no lightning anymore, and how do our nervous systems work if all electricity is now magically not working. The same natural laws that maintain the electricity we create is what keeps those functioning.

3. Having to read "The Change" over and over again made me think of that Simpson episode when Homer becomes a food critic and fills his reports with SCREW FLANDERS to make them long enough.

-Peter
Greg
user 25188662
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Hah, I hope I am not the only one who liked it (based on the meeting comments it sounds like at least 2 others were not fans). If so, I won't try too hard to escape my flogging for suggesting this one.

I read through this entire trilogy plus all of the followup books and enjoyed them. I suppose having known some SCA types and playing with them at a few of their meetings added a bit more amusement for me at Stirling's references to that and the other medieval re-enactment groups.
Peter T.
telckavich
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Greg:

I'm being a little vicious here don't worry I won't flog or garrote you for picking this one, and just to be honest I played a shit ton of D&D growing up but dropped it when I found the Rifts Universe. I think I might read the others just to see if he explains anything about how pressures are messed up and electricity is jacked, but our blood still pumps and our brains still function. This was just TOO easy of a story really. They just happen to fall upon people who can make their own bows, are vets & trained fencers, etc....
Zach A.
user 23702811
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
I enjoyed it quite a bit, actually, but there was some stuff that just bugged the hell out of me.

I will probably not go through with the other 9 books in the series, least not anytime soon.