Austin Fantasy and Science Fiction (Book) Club Message Board › Stanislaw Lem on 'Solaris'

Stanislaw Lem on 'Solaris'

Chris
dub74
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I discovered this short piece that Lem wrote when the Clooney/Soderbergh movie came out in 2002. It gives some of his thoughts on the book itself and both movie adaptations, as well as a bit of the flavor of his personality:

"I only wanted to create a vision of a human encounter with something that certainly exists, in a mighty manner perhaps, but cannot be reduced to human concepts, ideas or images. This is why the book was entitled 'Solaris' and not 'Love in Outer Space'."

The full essay is here:
http://english.lem.pl/arround-lem/adaptations/soderbergh/147-the-solaris-station/­
Josiah H.
user 11500902
Austin, TX
Post #: 26
Awesome. I really like that book. One of my favorites is his book The Invincible but it seems to be very rare and I was lucky enough to pick up a used copy of a 1970's paperback edition a long time ago.
Daniel H.
user 11920383
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
If you have not seen Tarkovsky's movie adaptation of this book then I strongly recommend it. I have a copy if you like to borrow it or come over to watch it.