Austin Groovy and Grails Users Message Board › Project and funding suggestion

Project and funding suggestion

Uri
wnseques
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
As I mentioned at the last meeting, I recently moved from Boston to Austin. I was a long standing executive committee member of the IEEE Boston section and as it happens they've been trying to create a web application to replace their website (www.ieeebostonorg) for a few years now. Would you all be interested in taking on this project? They can provide notable funding to the group that should last at least several years in exchange. They're looking for a lot more than the simple website that you can see there now. I can elaborate more later if there's interest.
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Yes! Let's talk.
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
sure tell us more :) We can easily all do a little piece if we get enough interest, and should be easily to collaborate on github. It would help to get some requirements so we can scope how much work is involved.

Ryan
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Here are the details that Uri sent me.

The existing website is static HTML. The section pays someone to make the updates for them now and would like to automate the process. The section has two employees who provide the content and who aren't very technically proficient. They also pay someone else to send emails out and they're using constant contact. They need to redo the graphic design as well but they can hire someone else for that. There's a few categories of content on the page that needs automating:

- Courses. Each has a description, registration form, and can accept online payment.
- Conferences - it's just a static list of conferences.
- Ads. Nothing here has you can tell yet. Maybe replace it with AdWords.
- Events. Each has a description and some have registration forms and can accept payment.
- Description about chapters. There should be a short description of what each chapter is and a list of upcoming events.
- Section meeting documents, updated a half dozen times a year or so
- Articles
- Other static content like executive committee members, history, etc that needs only periodic updating.

In the redesign they'd like to create forms for the employees to enter this content. The front page should be a portal with a snapshot of all of thise content. The events and registration should all run through the IEEE vTools service but I'm not sure what kind of API they provide. iCal and RSS feeds should be prolifically created. When events are entered, they should be posted to Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter as well. It would be nice if we could rebuild their email system as well so that such events could be batched up for sending to members periodically. If we do the email system, then it should generate user-tailored content based on their IEEE profile. The website might do the same using the IEEE login.

It seems like a CMS is appropriate for at least parts of this. I was looking at Magnolia CMS at one point since it's supports Groovy scripting. Parts of it will have to be a novel web application though, which I was thinking of doing on AppEngine using Gaelyk but could be done on Grails as well if too complicated for that framework. Any subset of this is also possible. They'll expect something for money but of course they're not going to expect the kind of professionalism they'd expect from a contractor who would undoubtedly cost several times more.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Uri
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
Hey everybody I created a one question poll asking if you would like to participate in the IEEE Web site development project. Please vote YES if you are interested so we can get an idea of how many people are interested.

Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 14
Here is the link to the poll I mentioned above. IEEE Web Site Project Participation Poll
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 15
I created a GitHub account for us to use and a new git repo for the project. See,

https://github.com/ag...­

Cheers,
Rob
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 18
According to the poll I created it looks like we have 5 people interested in contributing. We should probably start talking about how we want to organize ourselves and what we think the next steps are.

Uri, do you have any updates from the Boston IEEE group?

Rob
Uri
wnseques
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
None yet. I'll ping them again.
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 21
OK, so it looks like the IEEE Boston opportunity is moving slowly so I would like to propose we start our own project. I actually like idea for a couple of reasons. 1) we can choose exactly what we want to build, 2) and we can do it on our own time schedule.

So if you are interested let's here your proposals!