Austin Groovy and Grails Users Message Board › Project and funding suggestion

Project and funding suggestion

Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 22
OK, I'll start. I built a simple blog web site in Grails last year, http://taratuffo.clou...­. We could use it as a starting point to build something better.

Or If you just want to know how I built the web site I could give a one hour workshop explaining how I created the blog.

Anybody have some other project in mind?

Rob
Uri
wnseques
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
A twitter clone seems to be a popular starting point, which I guess is like a blog. Anyway, sounds good to me. Start with something simple.
Lee F.
user 69788942
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
My suggestion would be to write something that the group will use. If it's near and dear to the group, then it should (in theory) anyhow, get more love and attention. Along those lines, here are a couple of ideas:

1) Write a meetup replacement/clone.
2) Write one or more Grails plugins
3) Write an IDE. (Since there was such spirited discussion on that during the panel talk)
Lee F.
user 69788942
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Ryan also mentioned that many plugins don't support Grails 2.2 yet. In that case, perhaps another project would be to work on plugins and make them compliant to the new release of Grails. Think "community service' project. The Austin group could really emerge as leaders for plugin management and maintenance.
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
I like the community service project idea :)

I know there is one that is broken on 2.2 - filterpane plugin http://www.grails.org...­
Rob B.
user 14362612
Austin, TX
Post #: 23
Giving back to the Grails community is something I would like to see us do. But as a beginning project I would like to suggest something less ambitious. Replicating an existing (simple) web site is a great way to learn Grails. I would suggest we take note of the web sites we visit on a daily basis, ones not too steeped in JavaScript, and consider replicating one of those. Small steps.

Does anyone have jQuery, CSS or Graphic Design skills?
Todd N.
user 58877742
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
I can handle any jQuery and CSS needs
Eric M.
user 10949808
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
OK, I'll start. I built a simple blog web site in Grails last year, http://taratuffo.clou...­. We could use it as a starting point to build something better.

Or If you just want to know how I built the web site I could give a one hour workshop explaining how I created the blog.

Anybody have some other project in mind?

Rob

A walkthrough sounds good. This gets my vote.

Uri
wnseques
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
This thread seems to have died. What's are the next steps in making this happen? Should we setup separate meetings for this? I envision maybe somewhere with internet access that we can bring our laptops, install some common software, and maybe someone can volunteer to lead the group?
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 34
Yeah not sure, I think people have been swamped! We were going to try a workshop for this meetup, but maybe we can do it next month! Let's chat more at the meetup tomorrow.