Austin Groovy and Grails Users Message Board › What would you like to see next?

What would you like to see next?

Todd N.
user 58877742
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Are there any specific topics that you would like to see covered? Do you like presentations, or would you prefer discussions, or a mixture of both? What if we got some seasoned grails devs together and did a Q&A Session? What would you most like to see at our next event?
Eric M.
user 10949808
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
What plugins are used for authentication in Grails?
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 24
One young lady who worked in QA talked to me at the last meetup about wanting to know more about tools like Geb and Spock, Selenium, Betamax, etc. I don't have a talk prepped for that though, I don't think I'd have to prep it for next meeting. I can give one of my talks from last year that I can refresh a bit if nobody else is interested.

We can see if anyone wants to present anything, if they don't, why don't we do a agile-austin style panel discussion, of say 4-5 people who have been using Groovy / Grails for a number of years for a Q&A/Panel discussion?
Eric M.
user 10949808
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Testing would also be a good topic.
Lee F.
user 69788942
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I'd like to know about clean code and Groovy. I could see this being a discussion that is both about style and function. I would love to hear other's thoughts on what makes Groovy code clean, readable, and functional.

I hate to use the phrase "best practices" because if something were really the best practice, wouldn't everyone do it? Wouldn't it just be the way? I consider myself to still be ramping up on Groovy. While I've got better than a decade and a half of looking at other developers' Java code, I have really only seen my Groovy code and example code snippets on the web for the most part. I keep finding myself wondering if I'm writing good Groovy code and going down the path of "the way" or if I'm accidently running away from the promised land of Grovvy code.
david
user 2937740
Austin, TX
Post #: 114
I'd also be interested in monitoring, testing, load testing, and troubleshooting applications. I'm working with JMeter, Hyperic, and am also looking into Selenium.

Terracotta Clustering was mentioned by Ryan as a potential topic that I'd like to see.
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 25
If you are looking at selenium you should check out geb. It gives it a groovy interface that saves a lot of time automating :)

I think we'll end up doing a free form/agile style panel discussion where we'll have a rough topic and we'll see where the audience wants to take it.
Eric M.
user 10949808
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
I would also like to see a discussion about hosting. Grails has a reputation for being a memory hog. Can someone host a Grails app on a 512 MB VPS to show off their mad Grails 5|<i11z? Or does it require more than that?
Ryan V.
rvanderwerf
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 26
Running Grails in dev mode is a pig and I wouldn't do it on a machine without a SSD and 8+GB of ram using an IDE. However in production it's not nearly as bad, because a lot of stuff is left behind that isn't needed after the war build. That said it is a framework, and it has a lot of libraries so its always going to be a little fatter because of this.

I'm speaking at Gr8Conf.us this year in Minneapolis and one talk I'm going to give is 'Getting the most out of AWS with Grails' that I can give as a practice run for the June meetup. A fellow speaker Sebastian Blanc pushes Grails apps to Cloudfoundry all of the time (Live during his talks!). He does run out of quota with the free beta account after a few apps tho, mostly that is limits on the beta.
Todd N.
user 58877742
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
For a war deployment, I'd recommend having a heap of at least 768m with permgen of 128m. Also be conscious of other apps on your deployed instance and increase memory as needed.