Are you new to photography? Did you get a new, amazing camera this holiday season? This workshop is for you!
Maybe you're a person who has a really cool camera and yet you've only used it in the "Auto" mode. If you've found yourself saying, "this camera is really cool but I haven't a clue how to use it!" then this is the session for you. If you're starting out with photography and found you really love it but don't even know the questions to ask then this is the session for you.
I've done a few presentations on this topic - this time, we'll have our cameras to shoot and learn these techniques.
In this two-hour session, we'll start from the beginning so that you can take advantage of your camera and get more creative in your photography. Topics will include:
- Exposure - getting your shots to turn out "just right" in brightness. We will cover techniques to nail exposure as well as camera settings to ensure overexposure.
- White balance - getting your shots to look "just right" in color. We will compare Auto white balance with other choices then cover how to set a custom white balance so your colors are perfect.
- Camera modes - each mode covered in detail so you can choose which is best for a particular shooting situation including how to best use manual mode. Yes, you'll finally learn to shoot in the dreaded manual mode and understand how to get good images.
- Focus - understanding the various focus modes and when to use each.
- Metering modes - we'll cover evaluative, matrix, center-weighted and spot metering. If you don't know what these terms mean now, you'll understand these terms clearly by the time we're finished. We'll also cover the most important aspect of metering - how your camera gets fooled into taking bad images. You'll see this on your own camera and learn how to handle this situation.
- Picture modes - understanding "standard", "portrait", "landscape" and other modes as well as which is best for various shooting situations.
- Depth of field - understand what depth of field is and variables that affect it. You'll shoot and learn so you can see different depths of field in your own camera.
- Focal length and perspective - get your head around how lens selection can impact your images.
- The basics of light - direction, color and quality. You'll learn these characteristics are simpler than you think and you'll be able to put them to use.
This session is oriented toward beginners so there's no prior knowledge needed. I'll set up hot lights so we won't have to get into fancy flash photography. You'll need to bring your camera and manual for this session. This session is designed to get you on track with lots of "ah-ha" moments as well as "I didn't know my camera could do that" moments.
Let's get you on-track to end the frustration and get on to taking better photos!
Note: This workshop is free! I'll be hiring a professional model so you can practice. I'll have a donation jar if you can help defray the cost of the model ($5 - $10).