addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin Area Beekeepers Association Message Board › Report your blooms

Report your blooms

Jim Hogg (Daddy's...
DaddysBees
Dripping Springs, TX
Post #: 135
Howdy AUB members,

I am making a chart of our area's blooming cycles. I will post this chart in the future to assist us in planting for our area bees. If you see any honey bees working some blooms, please take notes on 1) the name of the plant, 2) when they started blooming, and 3) when this flower ends it blooming cycle.

Also, the bees in the area of 290 East, Toll 130, and the Harris Branch Parkway are currently(1-27-2012) bringing in some light-colored/tan pollen. If you may know what is blooming in this area, please let me know.

Thank you for your attention and input on the area's blooms!!!

Regards,
Jim Hogg
Wendy T.
user 11618551
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Hey Jim,
I live east and what I see blooming right now is dandelions in the fields. I have a few iris flowers out and roses in my garden. Also, my peach tree is just blooming in the past 2 days.
I also have a wildflower with big leaves in a swirl that has tall delicate stems with small yellow flowers. I don't know what it is but the ladybugs seem to use it as a nursery in the spring. They are starting to bloom on the east side of IH35.
Wendy
Jim Hogg (Daddy's...
DaddysBees
Dripping Springs, TX
Post #: 136
Thank you Wendy. I know the honeybees like dandelions and they've been popping up in the last week. Have you seen any honeybees working the iris and roses? I don't know if they are attracted to them or not.

Also, for anyone noting, any other blooming flowers that you see the honeybees working, along with the flower's name will help!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 41
I don't know what it is, but my girls are bringing in constant loads of bright orange pollen over here in Sunset Valley. We are near the shopping center so it could be some flowers planted there, and we are also near a community garden so something could be growing there too.
Deb F.
user 12237805
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
Here's the latest activity in my winter veggie garden: my peas have been blooming for 2 weeks, my arugula has just started bolting as of yesterday, and my broccoli 4 days ago. The bees have been very busy in my backyard.
Jim Hogg (Daddy's...
DaddysBees
Dripping Springs, TX
Post #: 137
Thanks all! I recorded the information. Deb, do you know what type of peas these are?
Deb F.
user 12237805
Austin, TX
Post #: 20
Decided to do a flower survey on my morning walk - here's what's blooming in my southwest Austin neighborhood:

Wildflower Varieties

Urban Garden Varieties:

• Lady Banksia Roses
  • Camelias
  • Snap Dragons
  • Purple Lantana (not gold)
  • Begonias

All the urban garden plants listed above are blooming about 4 weeks early this year.
Jim Hogg (Daddy's...
DaddysBees
Dripping Springs, TX
Post #: 139
Awesome. But, were there any honey bees on them? If not, they don't go on the list. Let me know for sure.

Note to all: Many flowers bloom, but don't attract honey bees.
:-)
Peggy B.
peggy4001
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
I live in Northwest Hills, about 1/2 mile west of MoPac. I have several pots of Rosemary in the back yard, and yesterday I saw the first bee I have seen since last summer, working over the blooms on the Rosemary. I don't have bees of my own yet, and I get really excited every time I see one!
Deb F.
user 12237805
Austin, TX
Post #: 21
Hi Jim,
I saw tons of bees on the peas (sugar snap variety), the rosemary, the arugula blooms, and the broccoli blooms. I'll check the other flowers for bees when I take my dog on her walk today.