addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Austin Area Beekeepers Association Message Board › How many brood boxes?

How many brood boxes?

Terry S.
user 84341102
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I’m new to beekeeping and appreciate the help provided on this site. In a recent meeting of the WCABA a comment was made that in Central Texas a single brood box (10 frame deep) held enough honey to survive winter and therefore honey supers could be added on top of a single brood box. All the books I have read indicated two brood boxes would be required. As the population of my new hive is quickly reaching the point where I will need to add another box, guidance would be much appreciated.
Lance W.
user 67471692
Austin, TX
Post #: 45
Hi Terry,

This is a matter of personal preference only. I like a 2 deep brood area configuration since it allows for more room for the queen to lay which should translate to a larger adult population. Secondly, it allows me to reverse deeps in the spring when the brood sphere has moved up reducing the risk of swarming. However.....it is more difficult to find the queen and is more expensive so really it just depends on your style of beekeeping.
Terry S.
user 84341102
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Thanks Lance,
This is the feedback I was looking for smile
William C.
user 13312724
Austin, TX
Post #: 68
I have read where 2 boxes puts 2 much pressure on the queen to lays eggs,when the 1 box nears capacity one would put on the excluder and a med.super for some breathing room.
This is something I have read but sounds like a good way to go,take it for so many grains.It's what works best.
Ryan M.
ryanm512
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
I just asked the same question to pro and got this reply:

Up north the practice is to have two deep (9 ½”) brood chambers, the thought is to have a deep full of honey for the bees to “winter” over on.
In Texas, the two or three days we have of winter each year does not really justify keeping that much honey on the hive.
Also, because the honey flows in Texas are a start and stop affair, much smaller than up north it is harder to fill up a deep with honey, therefore I recommend that you only place medium boxes (supers) above the single brood chamber (Note queen excluder between brood chamber and supers)
The medium frames are easier to draw out and they fell up sooner with honey, allowing extraction of honey sooner.
These are my thoughts and reason based on my experience from keeping bees in both Texas and North Dakota.