Austin Womens Group Message Board › Reaching out---

Reaching out---

This message board is read-only.

Wendy
user 6147992
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Hello Ladies,

Many of you I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the last couple years, and know every so often I send out an email of my life struggles and journeys--those of you that I dont know or have not met, I am also reaching out to you if you need any support as well--

As I drove home from my sons high school today, I tried in my mind to make thoughts and words come together, and just had much difficulty in doing so--

Last night, a 16 year old class mate of my son killed himself--he was in 10th grade (My youngest is 9th) and so my son didnt know him--My oldest son, a freshman at UT knew of him, but was friends with the young mans sister, and graduated with her from high school last year--

Last week, one of my close friend, her best friend, who was 53 years old, commited suicide--

I didnt know either the young man, or Sherrie, but I saw today so many kids grieving, and have talked to my girlfriend many times this week with so much grief--I havent had anyone I personally know commit suicide, but with this happening in my circle of friends, I want to reach out to anyone that needs any support, or any of you ladies that can also offer support if any of you are having this amount of grief, sadness, or thoughts of suicide--the hotline for suicide prevention is 1-800-273-8255--

Again, if any of you need anything, please let us help--

Wendy

Wendy
user 6147992
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 47
Hi Ladies,
I have received some emails from the ladies of our group, and as I receive permission from each of them, I will share some of them as they touched me--

Hi Wendy
Even though I am not able to attend many of your activities, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you sending out this very caring email. We rarely hear about suicide deaths unless it strikes close to home and many people don't understand the horrible impact that suicide has on families, friends, and the community. Knowing first hand the the impact of suicide - my 23 year old son committed suicide in 2003 - the pain never goes away - families just learn to live with the new "normal". Any caring or sharing of information is very important in helping in preventing or even in dealing with the terrible pain left behind from someone close using such a permanent solution for what seems like an insurmountable, yet temporary problem. Again, your reaching out to anyone that may need help dealing with life situations or is dealing with someone that has experienced such a horrible tragedy is greatly appreciated.
Thank you and take care
(I have removed the ladies name)
Wendy
user 6147992
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 48
Another email from one of the girls--I have removed her name for her privacy--

Wendy,
Thanks for this. I have also been touched by suicide remotely in the past couple years on various occasions. The man who jumped off the building downtown last month worked at ERCOT - his wife still works here.
A good friend of mine - lived in NY - he used to be so solid and such a good man, father, grandfather, loved animals, so kind, shared my love of Tull music - got an email from his wife - he took his life. And he had sent out an email that was very atypical or untypical or him about a month earlier and I thought it was odd - sometimes I struggle why I did not reach out. I could not have changed things.
Then someone I knew from a vacation - got word that he took his life up in Canada.

Who knows? Times are tough. I think I've been there when I was all alone down here in Texas and had my thyroid struggles and just getting through the day was hard let alone keep a job and a soldier face at work.

I share your grief. Thanks for reaching out. You never know what people are going through behind the smiles.
Wendy
user 6147992
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 49
From one of the ladies in our group--her name has been removed--

Hi Wendy, Thanks for sending this thoughtfull message to all of us. Sometimes our lives seam to go along in a steady path then, something like what you've mentioned happens and shakes us to the realities of the emotional pain some are going through. How much suffering to cause someone to commit suicide? The thought that EVERYTHING is hopeless with no chance of ever getting better. Is suicide " A Permanent Sollution To A Temporary Problem"? I personally know of two people that committed suicide. When I found out I was more than shocked. These people seamed to show nothing of being troubled or depressed. It can be particularly difficult to read people at times. Paricularly when they make it so they DON"T want to be read. Letting others know that we " are there" for them can help. It certainly can't hurt. We've all been through hard times in life. There are many bumps in the road. How we choose to handle these bumps is our individual decision. Although the thought of knowing that I could somehow have prevented and instead help someone that is in such pain, would mean the world to me. Thanks again Wendy for your insight. We can all use a reminder of how precious life is and how a single life abrubtly ended with no forwarning. Causes a ripple and unsettling throughtout the lives of all others. See you soon,

Wendy
user 6147992
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 50
Wendy,

I am so touched by your offer of support to all and my heart goes out to the families who are dealing with this type of tragedy in their lives. I can’t imagine the pain of loosing a child at all, but more specifically in this way. Yet I look into the eyes of my uncle and my very close cousins and see this pain that will last forever because their mother/sister chose this permanent solution to her problems. I am in the “can’t talk about it stage” this week. We pray that the sad days get fewer and fewer as time goes by, but Sherrie’s death will always be so sad.

I just received your card in the mail before reading this email and again, thank you for having such a caring heart and wanting to make a difference in this world.

Love, Cheryl