Austin Area Paddlers Message Board Advice Needed › Dam to Dam paddle info?

Dam to Dam paddle info?

Kathy R
krob758
Austin, TX
Post #: 131
I have been interested in paddling (kayak) from Mansfield Dam to Tom Miller Dam for awhile now and am thinking of doing it this spring. I know the distance is 22 miles but that would be quite a stretch for me and I think it would be more enjoyable to paddle to Emma Long the first day to camp there and paddle to Tom Miller the next day. Does anyone know how far it is from Mansfield to Emma Long and/or have any tips for this trip?

Cheers,

Kathy
Frederick
Polkster13
Leander, TX
Post #: 44
I to have been thinking about possibly doing this trip as well. The main issue will be the lower stretch and power boats. If we did it in the winter (February time-frame), that should limit the number of boats on the water but we will need to prepare carefully for that kind of trip. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this trip further.
John Van N.
Johna.Vanness
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hi Kathy,

I made that trip a couple of times about 10 years ago. As I recall, it was about 12 miles from the bridge below Mansfield dam Emma Long Park and about 10 miles from there to Walsh's boat landing near Tom Miller dam. The first leg was very pleasant. It was quite rural and very quiet the second leg was congested with motorboat traffic and water skiers. I may have the mileages reversed. or a off but it seemed that it was close enough to half way. I would suggest this trip he made midweek while it is still cool to avoid too many motorboats and skiers.

The same traffic pattern held true on Lake Travis from Marble Falls to Mansfield dam. Too much motorboat congestion for my taste from Lakeway on but this was when the lake still had a lot of water.

John
Kathy R
krob758
Austin, TX
Post #: 135
Thanks John! I appreciate the helpful info.

Frederick, I'll shoot you an email and we can discuss further. We may want to consider opening it up to the meetup group...

Best,
Kathy
Mark
user 9992770
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Sounds great. Let me know when works good for all!
A former member
Post #: 6
i would love to try this trip. thanks, patrick
John Van N.
Johna.Vanness
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I'd do it again. Been a lot of changes over the years!!