Austin Geeks and Gamers Message Board › Can we change our name?

Can we change our name?

Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 35
Hi guys!

A few days ago I posted the meetup for the Babylon 5 viewing party, and cross-posted to several other meetup and facebook groups to generate some new members (Yay! We got 7 more!). I got back some interesting feedback from several folks who saw my posting, which confirmed something that I had suspected.

I think we need to change our name.

Why? The feedback I saw included things like "I thought this was just a Babylon 5 group"; "I saw the name, but couldn't tell what it was for"; "Are you sure this is for all kinds of science fiction fans?"; "I just didn't get the name."

One thing I learned about marketing when I was at Electronic Arts is the KISS Principle: "Keep It Simple, Stupid". There is nothing clever about the title "Madden Football". People immediately get what they are buying. On the flip side, one of my favorite classic EA games "M.U.L.E." was an abysmal failure. Nobody knew what the game was about without a paragraph of explanation.

Take a look at the names of other successful similar local meetup groups:
- "Girl Geeks of Austin" (340 Geek Women)
- "The Austin SciFi Movie Meetup Group" (343 SciFi/Fantasy Fans)
- "Austin Fantasy and Science Fiction Book Club" (147 Nerds)
- "The Austin Doctor Who Meetup" (248 Whovians)

Nothing confusing about those names. So, I propose we rename ourselves to something clean and simple that clearly targets the people we want to join our meetup. My proposal:

"Geeks of Austin"

It's a nice, simple title that targets all geeks (SciFi, Fantasy, Movie, TV, games, etc.), and might draw some synergy with those 340 Girl Geeks out there. Personally, I'd like to see us build a community of hundreds of Austin Geeks. In my experience, about 10% of a meetup's members might come out for any specific event. For us to thrive long-term, we need to find a way to attract lots more than 20 members.

But this was all just a long-winded way of opening up the floor for discussion. How does anybody else feel about our group name?

Johann
Jerry
druidduo
Austin, TX
Post #: 21
I agree we should change the name.

I don't like being called a geek... but that's just my personal hangup, and I don't have a better idea - so Geeks of Austin is fine with me.

Thanks!
Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 36
"Geek" still carries lots of derogatory history, but I prefer it over nerds, dorks, spazzes, and "those weird trekkie guys". Thankfully, I think we have progressed to where most of the general pop culture now looks at it with more fondness. Witness terms like "geek chic", or the success of www.thinkgeek.com.

At the very least nobody still associates it with biting off chicken heads any more.

Jeff
Kate
user 14330693
Austin, TX
Post #: 14
I'm a huge fan of puns, so I like the name BabelOnAfter5, but I see how it could scare away prospective members. Maybe we could reserve that name for the happy hours/social meetups?

I think that "Geeks of Austin" is a little too parallel to "Girl Geeks of Austin" for what we're doing (at least so far), and it implies that this is a group specifically for guy geeks. Even something like "Austin Geeks" would help create a little more separation between the two groups.

What about something like "Geeks and Gamers"?

(Now the word "geek" has no meaning to me anymore. geek geek geek geek)

Kate
Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 37
"Austin Geeks and Gamers" has a nice ring to it. And I do also like the idea of using "Babble On After 5" as a title for our social / happy hour mixers.

Jason, you haven't chimed in yet. This group is your baby - what say you?

Johann
A former member
Post #: 12
I thought this was just a Babylon 5 group as well. I think changing the name would give it more appeal.
Jason K.
JasonKelley
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Hey Everyone, appologies that I am just now commenting on this thread. I actually have been following it all along but needed some extra time to think over things as this group is obviously very important to me and that though I know I look for everyone's feedback, its kinda up to me to make a final decision. That being said...I tend to agree in general with whats being said...though I personally love the name BabelOnAfter5..I had always known it might sound too babylon 5ish and not as appealing to everyone in general. I actually really think Kate made a good case for making it be more of an event title than an overall group name. that way we still get the points for cleverness but people dont have to feel restricted (even though no restrictions where originally intended.)

As for the new title.

I really like the new direction as far as Austin Geeks and Gamers and even thought of a few others too:

Austin Gamers, Geeks, and Goblins
(to appeal to sci fi and fantasy people as sometimes i feel fantasy gets left behind)

Austin Geeks and Gamers Guild

well anyway just a few to toss around. I have never been too big of the fan of the word geek either, but i have been trying hard to rid myself of any regret about being a nerd, dork, geek, socially awkward sci fi theologian in general so hehehehe if you like any of these jeff feel free to set up a poll with some of these names...or let me know and i can do it...or we can keep hashing them out here a bit then just select the best one. as the group is relatively small right now...i dont mind making things a little bit more democratic and just seeing what most people feel they identify most with.

ok im stopping now. hehehehe
Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 38
Glad you share the overall perspective, Jason. I'm still abiding by the KISS principle and vote for Kate's:

"Austin Geeks and Gamers"

But Jason, yours will be the voice that gets to say "Make it so."

johann
Jason K.
JasonKelley
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Austin Geeks and Gamers it is then. "Make it so Number 1" hehehe

Or err...guess ill have to make the change as I have prime directive privileges hahaha
Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 39
And there was much rejoicing! Huzzah!

Okay gang, now is the time to spread the word. We have a new home for all of Austin's Geeks and Gamers. Tell your friends. Tweet it. Post to your favorite facebook group. Let's get our membership rolling up from a mere 20 to more like 200 Austin Geeks and Gamers. Put out the call. Avengers Assemble! (Oh wait, that's another group...)

See y'all next week!

Johann