Austin Geeks and Gamers Message Board › Organizing a LAN party?

Organizing a LAN party?

Johann
JohannTX
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 68
Howdy my fellow geeks!

One of the ideas that has been requested, and that we still haven't attempted as a meetup, is a LAN party. Personally, I have to confess that in spite of my past life as a computer game designer, I am still an old school board gamer and never mastered any great LAN games. So, I'd love to hear from any of you who are LAN gamers:

1) What LAN games are you guys most interested in?

2) What locations do you think would work? (FYI - Derrick, the proprietor of Mothership Games, is a member and would probably be glad to host something if we collaborated with him.)

3) Would any of you who are more passionate and knowledgeable about LAN gaming be willing to step up and help organize them? Jodin, for example, volunteered to help organize our light board game events and has been doing an amazing job. I am sure we have one or two more like him among us.

Let me know what y'all think!

Johann
Jessica L.
user 75436902
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
1) I am a console gamer, and could bring an xbox 360; which is backward compatible with Halo: combat evolved. I like FPS style games, especially the original 3 halo games. :)
2) Unsure of locations that would work, but I do have a house with two HDTVs in the SW area, if we couldn't figure anywhere else out.
I'm looking forward to video game events like this! Sounds really fun. :)
Jessica
Jessica L.
user 75436902
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Oh, also- there's always the Gears of War series, how many of you guys are into that one?

And as for the 3rd question, I'm sure we're all tech savvy, but I could probably assist in setting up the networks for the LAN party.
Jacob
jjhwarrington
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Just joined up, so feeling out how best to get involved, but I actually held a semi-successful LAN party for my birthday last year, so I'd be up for another. It's harder than you'd think, in some ways harder than it used to be, since so few games can do local multiplayer anymore. Lot of PCs & displays req'd.

That said, I've got an adequate gaming laptop, an XBox 360, and some form of spare display (TV/monitor or projector, depending on need,) that I going bring to the mix.

My only problem is, I'm not a big shooter fan, but I could probably swing some Halo... I'd actually like to try the multiplayer out for XCOM or Torchlight II for PC, though, if we had enough computers for a LAN. And while Rock Band's a little out of style these days, it's still a pretty good party game, and I have a set of the basic instruments to provide should that prove to be a popular option.

Let me know what you come up with!
Jessica L.
user 75436902
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
I just got a PS2 Slim I found at a Goodwill, it has an ethernet cable port, I have no games yet though...D'oh!
Jacob
jjhwarrington
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
That's funny... I finally sold my PS2 at a garage sale last year, but I kept a few of the games I was attached to. I can't play them any more, they're just in my collection. So if you ever feel a need to try out the old Guitar Heros, or (more likely) Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, you might be in luck!