add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Austin Geeks and Gamers Message Board › Video Game Deal Hunting!

Video Game Deal Hunting!

Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I debated just calling this thread "Game Deal Hunting," but then folks would come in hoping to find the latest sales for hot new board games, and I will never have a good lead on one of those... Thus, specificity! Anyhow, I'm seeing game prices sliding down after the holidays, so I thought we could update here in case there are deals worthy of attention!

Now, if you're patient enough, you can almost always wait 'til a major holiday to score the best game sales, especially on Steam, but sometimes you just miss the window, or just NEED to buy a title before the Fourth of July! ;)

Anyway, at the moment I'm posting about Borderlands 2, because I desperately want to get 3-4 people to get interested in this game before it's past its prime, like the first BL was when I finally decided to play it! :D

Amazon is currently selling a download code for Steam for just $30, which is 50% off, and the best I've seen since the Christmas sales:­

Note: I mention Steam because some amazon reviewers were annoyed they'd need to use it to get their game, but personally, it's where most of my game library lives these days. I actually LIKE when I can get a game from a store that will ultimately link with Steam. YMMV.
A former member
Post #: 31
My friend built a gaming PC in the last year (uses his HDTV as monitor) and he's always telling me of the amazingly cheap games he gets on Steam. It's enough to get me interested in a gaming PC myself, especially since Steam has made their interface more like a console and fully compatible with a game controller. Also there are the rumors of Steam releasing there own "console" which will basically be a dedicated gaming PC.

A tip for purchasing used current gen games (xbox, ps3, etc) at Gamestop: Ask if they have any "new used" copies of the game you want. Whenever the company changes the sku number on a game box the stores have to sell any new copies with the old sku number as used copies. I recently picked up two brand new games for used price.
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
Good tip! That's way better than the opposite Gamestop trend, the "Used New" phenomena, where they apparently repackage opened cases as new games. I still don't fully understand how they market them as new, but I've seen the non-factory-sealed games in stores labelled at retail price...

Re: Steam, it's true, the sales are a big reason I'm buying on PC more than ever before. Some games released for the 2012 Christmas season went on sale during Steam holiday specials. So even new releases can go up to 30-50% off. Better than that, in my mind, are the year-old AAA games that can get down to under $15. Used consoles games never get marked down that far within a year, sometimes ever!
Austin, TX
Post #: 8
Meant to add: like you say, controller support has been getting better for Steam games, too. The last two PC games I bought, XCOM, and The Walking Dead, have been played on an XBox gamepad from my PC. With XCOM, I even started out as keyboard & mouse, then switched over to controller and found it fit the UI better! While the hardcore will always protest, the lines between PC & console releases gets blurrier by the year...
user 25860252
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I've been wanting to play Borderlands 2 for a while now. That game is so much better playing with others. How much time do you think you want to play? I really like steam sales too bad I miss them a lot! I only play on my pc since I don't have a console. Send me a message to let my know the details and what skill level you are looking for.
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
Wanted to add here that I (sadly) missed out on the Borderlands 2 deal I posted for PC, but have since gotten the game as a gift for XBox 360... so, tough that there's so many platforms to balance! Certainly let me know anyone who wants to check out some co-op on XBox.

Side note, I still have extra copies of the original Borderlands on Steam to give as gifts, so if we get 4 people together who want to play that one (for free!) I can finally find a home for those. ;) Not a game-buying deal per se, but it's still a decent offer! :D
A former member
Post #: 4
Wal-Mart has been clearancing some new PSP, PS2, PC, and XBOX 360 games, as well as having some great titles under $20...At least the Wal-Mart on 290 near Brodie has been. They also had Dead Space 2 for under $20 on xbox 360. Not sure if any of you are Final Fantasy players but they had a FF VIII-2 for PS3 with a Limited Edition poster in it for around $14.

I'm not sure if I saw Borderlands 2 there for that price, but I'm almost certain. Most of the titles I've been comparing at Best Buy were $5-$10 below Best Buy prices, and those were Best Buy USED copies.

This is a shot in the dark, and I hope it's okay to ask: is anyone looking for a near mint copy of Halo 4 (xbox 360)? It wasn't my style, it's not single player friendly- they definitely want you to co-op or get a Gold account... It's literally just opened, not a single scratch or finger print on it.