Hey everyone! This month we're going to look at the basics of using git/Github. We have created a Github repo for use with this group, and we'd like to get everyone comfortable using it.
Agenda: An intro to git and Github and a demonstration of the basic workflows.
So that we can focus on git proper during the session, I would suggest that everyone who is keen on this topic take about 30 minutes and go through the following steps before the meetup:
1) Create a profile on Github.com.
2) Install git following the instructions for you operating system here.
3) Generate SSH keys and add them to your Github profile.
This last step can be a bit tricky but the documentation is quite good.
We will be exploring the following topics in person, but feel free to read up and explore on your own.
- Working with git locally: files, commits, branches and merging
- Working with Github repos: cloning, pushing
Here are some good resources for additional reading:
Git, a simple guide
And if you're coming from svn, Atlassian has a good overview of some of the differences.