add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Tom B.
Austin, TX
Post #: 29
Just mussing.

I want a tiller pilot. But I feel its stupid to get one since last year I only sailed in travis. My cockpit is so small that the hardware for the pilot would reduce space for crew by at least one spot. For the longer trips to Commanders point or Sail and ski, when alone it would be handy though. OTH $500 for something I'd need twice a year seems silly.

Just thinking.
Glen M.
user 12609671
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Dad used to have a really simple autopilot that was just a rectangular box with a direction dial on it and an arm that would go in and out to control the tiller.

It mounted to the coaming and to the tiller just by dropping the pins that hung off the thing into mounting holes in both places, so to use it you'd just drop it on, plug the 12V cable in, and adjust the knob until it pointed the boat the way you wanted. Then you could easily remove and stow it when not in use.

I don't know how that compares to what you're looking at, but it sounds like it would be ideal.
Hector L.
user 11285600
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Are you talking about a Tiller Tamer ?
Yes they are expensive.
You might have success with a bungee cord
wrapped twice around the tiller and then to
both sides of the cockpit.
It will hold course for a couple of minutes while
you go to the foredeck and return.
Works for me!
Regards and Good Luck, Hector
Tom B.
Austin, TX
Post #: 30
Tiller tamers are cheap, I've had one. Some bastard stole the nob off of it and so it was less than optimal after that. I'm thinking of a Raymarine St1000. The prblem is that it requires a mounting post on one side of the cockpit. The placement of which would prevent some one from sitting there when I have more tan two crew in the cockpit. But the I could recess this post some how.
Tom B.
Austin, TX
Post #: 33
I like this one, maybe I can fixit so no one can steel the knob: