The Austin Writers Meetup Group Message Board › Suggestion for Change of Format

Suggestion for Change of Format

Joe C.
user 14297368
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I am new to the Austin Writers Meetup Group, but not to Writers groups in general. I have always appreciated those, like Meghan who take the time to form and organize it and make it happen. Otherwise there would be no discussions between fellow writers. Also, I appreciate it because I don't have what it takes to do that. That said, I would like to suggest a change of format, in all due respect. It has to do with the time spent on each piece that we bring to the meetup. Maybe the format started when the groups were smaller, I don't know. But at 11 and counting that is a lot of reading in a short period of time. I noticed some writers can read fast. I 'll admit I read a little slower. So my prejudice leans to reading less and spending more time on someone's piece so I can give them a little better feedback. I would like to see a group of ten or eleven to break in half and allow the readers to spend more time on the each writers piece. Anyway, thanks for reading.
Meghan
user 4965682
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 39
Hi Joe, thanks for the suggestion. We don't have the room to break into two groups at the North location & we would have to have a second person willing to moderate the discussions on an ongoing commited basis or I would have to run between two. We don't generally have problems with the group but every once in awhile I do need to reign the discussion in a bit & move on to the next piece. That being said, the amount of people sharing works has increased so don't feel like you need to read every piece at every meeting. We will discuss each piece but it's okay if not everyone has read them. As long as at least a few people have read each piece the author can still get useful feedback.
Joe C.
user 14297368
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Yes. You are on the ball. This is clear. I get it. I follow. I feel you. And I Kapish.
Thanks.
Meghan
user 4965682
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 41
Thank you. I always appreciate suggestions whether they get implemented or not it's good to get feedback. Things can always be stored away for later use if say we were to get more organizers.
Joe C.
user 14297368
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
I liked your ideas about the future, when it gets too many people on the waiting list. Like the more consistent attendees get priority over the less consistent. Or priority goes to the writers who bring work to share. Stuff like that. The first timers who want to get their feet wet get a free pass.

But continual needowells will be struck down! They have to bring baked goods or do fifty push-ups.
Meghan
user 4965682
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 46
Uh-oh. I better watch out then! I don't always share. Do I get a pass for being the Organizer? Hee-hee. Seriously though it's okay for people not to share at every meeting. In fact, if everyone brought something every time we probably wouldn't have time to get through all the pieces. It is good to share sometimes though as that is sort of the point of the group, to come bring your pieces & get feedback. The idea about consistent attendees getting priority could be a good one but I would have to figure out how to monitor that as I wouldn't want to start kicking people out that RSVP'd & I don't think you can open RSVPs to only certain members. All things to keep in mind though as the group grows. Thanks for your feedback Joe!