BABS - Bay Area Bloggers Society Message Board › Blogging Resources

Blogging Resources

Jennifer F.
user 8025469
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
Hi Folks -
I enjoyed the meeting last night, it was good for me to get out of the office for a change and meet you. :-)

A number of people asked me for some help in getting up to speed. I know it's hard to mix so many people with such different levels of knowledge, so I have 3 suggestions:

1) If you're a real beginner I'd suggest reading a book! What a concept. How about something like Blogging for Dummies? (Actually I don't know if there's a title exactly like this) but for me, the best way to get oriented is to read an organized presentation of the fundamentals instead of trying to piece it together from searches online. Then, once you have your feet on the ground you can look for specific info.

2) Here is a very helpful checklist to get us all thinking about the PURPOSE of what we're doing instead of getting so caught up in the mechanics. The point is not to blog, the point is to join and participate fully in a larger conversation and attract interest to what we have to offer. They are aiming at a more sophisticated audience than beginners, but if you can stick with it, this post has very wise advice for conducting yourself well in the flow of ideas and services. Here, click this link:

http://blog.hubspot.c...­

I have just subscribed to Hubspot's blog which you may not want to do because it's a more jargon-laden but this post really speaks to the mindset and gets you off the technicalities.

3) The other piece of advice I have for when you're flailing in the technicalities is to go to YouTube. This is for when you can't figure out what you're supposed to do with a piece of software - like Wordpress - or you want someone to walk you through the set-up of something. If you put in a a search term, say, "how to install a wordpress blog on your server" you will get more than a view videos on how to do it. Many internet marketers put out free help like this to attract you to their products and services. And many geeks and average folks love to give advice.

BTW, there are two ways to have a wordpress blog, one on their server (for which you go to wordpress.com) and one on a private server for which you go to wordpress.org. The example above is for learning how to install a wordpress blog on a private server.

I hope this helps the group continue to gel because I think Suzanna has a great thing going here and we each have something to add.

See you in October!

Jennifer

Suzanna S.
Suzannababs
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
What a great overview, thanks, Jennifer!