Bay Area Tangential Music Meetup Message Board News › Don't miss great Tangential meetups next week!

Don't miss great Tangential meetups next week!

Nick W.
mellosound
Group Organizer
Menlo Park, CA
Hi everyone, Nick here,

It's been musically quiet for a couple of weeks, but that's all about to change! Next week sees not one, but two Tangential concerts scheduled as meetups.

But first... WHAT YOU MISSED
Check out reviews and photos from last month's Meetup shows:

Broken Shadows Family Band ay the Red Poppy Art House Feb 28th: Review­ and photos­

David Hidalgo Trio at the Sweetwater on Feb 20th: Photos­

NEXT WEEK:
MONDAY (Mar 24) Japan Nite! at The Independent (SF)

Zorigani$
Oh those crazy Japanese! Their take on pop music is something unique, idiosyncratic, completely unlike anything you'll hear in the US ...and absolutely tons of fun!

This is an annual showcase for young upcoming bands from Japan, fresh from SXSW. We'll meet for food/drinks just up the street. Whatever we think of them, it's bound to be interesting and fun.

HAPPY

Japan Nite website
Independent site
Video for Zargani$
Video for HAPPY

RSVP here!

FRIDAY (Mar 28) Quijerema at the Red Poppy Art House (SF)

Quijerema

The Meetup group who went to the Red Poppy recently loved it and couldn't wait to go back. "Who would you most recommend us to see, coming soon?", we asked one of the Red Poppy staff. Quijerema was the answer...

A merging of classical and jazz with poetic undertones, Quijerem√°'s music features traditional instruments and vocal poetry to create a unique style that merges jazz, classical and world idioms. Sounds pretty good, huh?

Tickets at the door only, doors at 7:00pm.  After the last time we know a few good places to meet and chat.

Info here.

RSVP here!

ALSO:
SUNDAY (Mar 23rd) Zakir Hussein at the Zellerbach Hall, Berkeley
Unfortunately I can't get to this one myself, but several people I've spoken to are interested. If that's you - and you want to go - SUGGEST IT AS A MEETUP! I know you are not alone. :)

More information here.

COMING UP: (Get tickets now!)
(aka "shows I'm excited about")  Names are linked to calendar entries:

Mali Festival weekend at the Nourse Theater with Fatouma Diawara on April 18 and Tinariwen on April 19
Johnny Clegg at the Montalvo Arts Center on May 3
Bela Fleck at the Rio, Santa Cruz on May 17

PLEASE let me know of any other great shows you hear about.

If you are going to a show anyway, why not MAKE IT A MEETUP - just suggest it. Anyone can do it! (it only takes three to make it "official"!)

Hope to see you at one (or all) of these great shows!
Nick