addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

BC Humanists Vancouver Meetup Group Message Board › 101 Members and Counting

101 Members and Counting

Ian B.
Vancouver, BC
Greetings members of the BC Humanists Meetup Group,

We've just passed 100 members in our online community, so I thought I'd take a few lines to tell you a little bit about our group if you haven't been to many (or any) of our events yet.

First, you should know that our association was founded in the mid-1980s as a branch of Humanist Canada before becoming a democratically run, autonomous non-profit. We are now a registered charitable organization with a mandate to provide information about Humanism and to build the Humanist community in the province.

Our organization is completely supported by our members through donations and membership fees. While I strive to keep as many of our events free and open to the public, we will occasionally ask for donations to cover our operating costs. Please consider joining the BC Humanist Association or setting up a regular, tax-deductible donation to support our work. Members are entitled to a vote for and run for positions on our Board of Directors at our annual general meeting (typically held in May).

As our group pre-dates this meetup, our events typically attract a crowd much larger than RSVPs here. Our Sunday meetings draw out 25-40 people, while our hikes and BBQs bring about 15. Many of our members keep up to date through our weekly email newsletter.

If I haven't yet met you, I hope to see you at a future event.

Ian Bushfield
Executive Director
BC Humanists