Bryan/College Station Atheist & Freethinkers Message Board › Welcome New Members - Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome New Members - Introduce Yourself Here

mitch
user 10543165
Bryan, TX
Post #: 4
i left the bcs area around 10 years ago for work in west texas, now i'm back, i attended a meetup group of freethinkers in the permian basin, although not regularly due to crappy work hours. i enjoyed the company of other atheists, and look forward to the same with you guys.
A former member
Post #: 26
Howdy! I'm Joe Zamecki. You may remember me. :o)

There will be a rather large picket of Texas Governor Rick Perry and the American Family Association's big prayer/hate fest, in Houston, at Reliant Stadium, on August 6. We're expecting a couple hundred picketers, from several different groups and multiple movements.

Here's the Facebook event page for the picket: http://www.facebook.c...­.

We've also got a ChipIn module going, for donations to help pay the costs of holding this picket. Here's that ChipIn: http://stopthehate.ch...­.

We're going to buy some picket signs, some t-shirts, bottled water and some sun block. We're also going to rent a portajohn. Plus - big after-picket party in the patio at Joe's Crab Shack on the South Loop. It's going to be big, and fun!

Activism! Yeah! :o)
Joe Zamecki
Austin
Tuck
user 21546641
College Station, TX
Post #: 1
Hi all! This is Tuck! I've been to a few meetings now, but I'm just now getting on the message board here. I thought I would drop a line to introduce myself.

I'm originally from New Jersey, from a loosely Roman Catholic family. I went to college here at A&M and somewhere during high school and college I became an agnostic/humanist. I graduated and joined the Peace Corps briefly before returning to marry my sweetheart Cheryl. We've been Married for almost six years now. Sometime in the last few years I read Letter to a Christian Nation, The God Delusion, and a few other works which have pretty much cemented me as a solid atheist. My personal philosophy can best be summed up by saying that I have a love/hate relationship with humanity.

I work at Evans Library on A&M campus, in the Media & Reserves department, and I'm almost done getting my master's degree in library science online from University of North Texas. I'm something of a nerd and I love all things geeky. I'm an avid Roleplayer, I like computers, but I couldn't fix one if my life depended on it. I'm kind of an audiophile and I love all kinds of music from Rock to rap to techno to Country to Irish punk. As far as I'm concerned there's never been a genre of music without at least a few awesome songs in it. I'm also a gigantic comic book geek, and comic books are actually one of the focuses of my master's degree.

It's been really nice meeting all of you, and I hope to see lots more of you guys in the future. :)
Amelia N.
user 34115002
College Station, TX
Hi! I'm Amelia. I was born in Bryan, but raised in Hearne/Mumford area.
So happy that this group exists. My two best friends just moved and so I've been pretty reclusive lately, simply because of the nature of most people here....you know what I mean.
I don't have a problem with others being religious, but I do have a problem when people "bless me" or pray for me. I don't know why, it just irks the craaaap out of me.
So anyway, I'm studying anthropology and can't decide if I want to focus on archaeology or cultural anthro...both so fascinating!
I am getting married to a man from the Buganda tribe in Uganda this summer, and next year I will be finished with my Associates degree. I plan on attending an International University there in Uganda. Super excited!!! :D
I love music, weird movies, and board games.
I read (maybe) a little too much.
I'm shy and quiet at first but once I get comfy, it's hard to get me to shut up.
My political opinion is that Anarchism is the only way to achieve a fair and equal society.
I have two dogs and four cats!!!
Hmmm...I think that's it!
Hope to meet you all soon! :)
Amelia
A former member
Hey, my name is Alexa. I just moved to College Station to help my grandparents so I don't know anyone here yet. I'm originally from Dallas. I've noticed that people here give me hateful glares without ever speaking to me and I'm not sure why. Maybe someone can explain that to me sometime.

I am a professional writer, a world traveler, and I have cats and sugar gliders. I enjoy video games, thoughtful discussion, and people who don't act like dickbags. I am easy-going and generally a nice person.

I look forward to meeting you guys!
Jeffery T.
user 98091172
College Station, TX
Hello, my name is Jeff. I am a 24 year old graduate student who recently moved to College Station from Indiana. I am working on a Ph.D. in chemistry and molecular biology. I was raised in an Evangelical household and deconverted my first year at university. Given that religion was such a huge part of my life I enjoy discussing religious beliefs with other people. I look forward to meeting some of you tomorrow at the meetup
A former member
Hello!
My name is Laylah, I am a native of Massachusetts and a nursing student in my senior year at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Nursing is a second career for me, I am a former pastry chef. My husband and I may be moving to the College Station area (from Pearland) in May. I joined this group to meet some like-minded individuals.