BENT (not quite straight) Message Board › New group for lesbian trans women and their allies

New group for lesbian trans women and their allies

A former member
Post #: 4
I feel a group is needed that is specifically focused on the intersecting issues of trans women that identify as lesbian or queer. We're a vastly under-represented minority that seems to have no voice even within the individual trans or lesbian communities that are supposed to represent us. As such, I know I myself have often felt like there is no place we can talk about our unique issues and experiences. Often in trans groups, most of the MTF women are straight, and it seems like bringing up specifically lesbian issues results in nothing more than blank stares (in one extreme case, I actually had another trans woman try to convert me to being straight), while in many lesbian groups, in my experiences I have usually been the only trans woman in sight, and feel afraid to even come out as trans, let alone bring up a trans-specific topic, for fear that it would trigger a backlash of resentment that I as most likely the only trans woman in the group would be “taking up the group's time.”

I believe that a group such as this is needed to provide lesbian MTF's and their allies a safe space to discuss issues that are so frequently ignored and swept aside. I'm sending this out to gather interested people to get this group going. If you're interested, please contact me (you can e-mail me from my meetup profile, or just reply to this thread), and also feel free to pass this along to anyone that you think would be interested.

Thank you,
Wenda Rose