addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Boston CFIDS and Fibromyalgia Support Group Message Board › Do you love your rheumatologist?

Do you love your rheumatologist?

Lynne
user 38097162
Somerville, MA
Post #: 1
I'm currently being treated by Dr. Marc Fisher, Rheumatology at MGH, but have not been officially diagnosed (though I have 99% of symptoms of FM). I really need to scout out a good doctor for a 2nd opinion which hopefully will be covered by insurance. I'm trying to vet doctors before scheduling, and would like to transfer my care in its entirety. The following attributes would be ideal: a high level of care and listening skills; willing to make a diagnosis; well acquainted with traditional/pharmalogical as well as alternative holistic. I've heard of two doctors well regarded, one in Arlington (who doesn't accept Harvard Vanguard), and Borg-Stein in Newton (who doesn't accept any insurance). Curious if anyone has seen Lucille Shore-Schein @ Marino Center or Diana Beaupre w/Harvard Vanguard Peabody. Also, has anyone seen Dr. Robinson, or Dr. Cohen, in Rheumatology at MGH? Any details/feedback greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a good day, and thank you.

Emily
user 4034882
Arlington, MA
Post #: 4
I've seen Donald Goldenberg at Newton-Wellesley. I needed a Tufts HMO referral but the costs were covered. When all the other rheumatologists I had seen told me that there was nothing wrong with me, Goldenberg came through. Good luck.

Emily
Joy M.
user 41995932
Braintree, MA
Post #: 5
Hi Lynne,

Last I heard Dr. Borg-Stein is affiliated with Newton-Wellesley Hospital in addition to her own practice. I'd think she'd have to take insurance if you saw her through the hospital.

Having said that, she was very hard to get an appt. with when i tried a while back. Had to have my pcp write her a letter as to why I needed evaluation, and even at that she never replied. Very busy so I hear.

I will say that a rheumatologist at Lahey, Dr. Elias-Todd, was a good listener and diagnosed me on the first visit, but then after blood tests to rule other things out, she referred me back to primary care for treatment. I protested and got referred to pain management for meds. There I was seen a couple of times and then back to primary care again. But at least I got diagnosed and got medical treatment for it!

Joy M.
Lynne
user 38097162
Somerville, MA
Post #: 2
Thanks Joy and Emily. While diagnosis is one objective, I am hoping to do continuing care with the doc who makes the diagnosis. While one wouldn't think it would be difficult to find a single doctor to fit the bill, I don't seem to be making progressive. Two docs that people have recommended that diagnose and do contining care do not take insurance.... Thanks again for your input.
Joy M.
user 41995932
Braintree, MA
Post #: 6
Hi Lynne,
Yes, whether the pressure is coming from the healthcare provider or the insurance companies, it seems there is a consensus that fibro can be managed in primary care these days. Good luck though.
Joy