The Baltimore Washington Tech Meetup Message Board › Hard to get into IT

Hard to get into IT

Java
user 12017205
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 8
How do you get experience when you have none? I have been trying for entry level positions because I only have entry level certifications thus far. I have my A+, Network+, and MCTS windows 7 cert. If you know any recruiters or if your job is hiring please let me know. Email me at j.conyers301@hotmail.com
James F.
PoundingCode
Pikesville, MD
Post #: 9
Well, for starters, I'd lose the Yankees cap from my profile, if I'm looking for a job in or around Baltimore! biggrin

I faced the same dilemma, when I started my career in IT, and I don't think things have changed very much in 15 years. How I did it was by making my own opportunity - I helped a business by rewriting their scheduling application, and while they did pay me $1000 to do it, I probably make $2/hour by the time all was said and done. I used that application as my calling card for my first technical position. There are give camps if you can't find a business/group that could use free or greatly discounted help.