addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sappho Poetry Event

Sappho is the most famous woman poet of the ancient world. The bulk of her poetry, which was well-known and greatly admired through much of antiquity, has been lost, but her immense reputation has endured through surviving fragments. Yet the fragments are lovely.
We will have a short talk on the life and work of Sappho, followed by a participatory poetry reading. You are welcome to find your favorite poem by Sappho and bring to read.

Sappho is honored by as a saint in the Thelemic Mass. The Thelemic Mass is a distinctive ritual of Temple of Thelema based on the Gnostic Mass written by Aleister Crowley.


The Temple of Thelema, many years ago, undertook a modest rewrite. About 93% of our Mass is Crowley’s sublime original. The other 7% is our distinctive contribution.
One of the purposes of the rewrite is to further equilibrate the balance between gender energies in the Mass: Social standards on this issue, thankfully, have shifted in the 90 years since Liber XV was crafted. One aspect of this was to include female saints along as well as male saints.
There have been requests for more information on who the 70 saints of the Thelemic Mass are. Tonight we will focus on one of the female saints from the ancient Pagans: The Greek poet Sappho. We will conclude with a poetry reading.

This event is co-sponsored by the Aiwass Study Group, and will welcome both men and women.

Join or login to comment.

15 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy