addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Ballard Board Games Meetup Message Board Ballard Board Games Meetup Group Discussion Forum › 3 questions for Seattle board gamers

3 questions for Seattle board gamers

A former member
Post #: 3
Hello everyone. I'd greatly appreciate just a few minutes of your time to provide your answers these 3 questions.

When looking for a good place in which to hang out and play board games, what are the things you consider important? (Example: good lighting)

If you could have a dedicated board game café somewhere in Seattle, in which neighborhood would you prefer it?

What's your main mode of transportation?

Thank you, everybody!
Mark C.
mcdanger
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
well appointed matters. Cafe Mox/Card Kingdom does this well, where most boardgame stores that have play areas look like school cafeterias with glaring fluorescent lighting. I like rich, warm colors. Lighting matters for sure, but atmosphere more so.

U District... I'd say Ballard but... you know. Card Kingdom...

bus
Rebecca M.
user 32728212
Seattle, WA
I think good food, good lighting, ample seating/larger tables, and longer hours are all really important. And since card kingdom is already in Ballard, maybe someplace else centrally located, like Fremont, would be a good idea. I drive, so the availability of parking is always handy, too.
Mike
empty19
Seattle, WA
Post #: 13
I would agree with the previous answers and would add that I prefer venues that are game friendly. I would be uncomfortable going into most resturants/coffee shops and sitting down to play games for a few hours. I appreciate going to card kingdom or blue highway where the space is understood to be for playing games. Additionally I've enjoyed going to LFP Third Place Books as the space there is made for people to show up and hang out for extended periods of time.

Of course if I could choose anywhere to have a dedicated board game café it would be just down the street from where I currently live. I would appreciate being able to walk to a gaming location.

When traveling to meetups I'm usually going to be driving. As mentioned above, ease of parking can be a deciding factor.
Celso
user 7468310
Zürich, CH
Hi Carla. It seems relatively unanimous so far, and I'm also in agreement. Card Kingdom/Cafe Mox provides an excellent model for what you describe. To be nitpicky, I sometimes feel that the lighting inside the bar area is a bit too weak, but the beer & food makes up for that nicely; plus there's plenty of space to play games in the other side of the bar.

I live in Ballard, so I feel like I'm covered. I'm not sure where else. Maybe Wallingford? That's on the bus line, and well placed between phinny, fremont, and the U district.
A former member
Post #: 31
>When looking for a good place in which to hang out and play board games, what are the things you consider important? (Example: good lighting)
Nice variety of beverages. Good desserts, including vegan and GF. (Mox lacks a GF dessert.)

>If you could have a dedicated board game café somewhere in Seattle, in which neighborhood would you prefer it?
Wallingford. Because I live there. There is no board game venue. Nor is there a venue in nearby Green Lake. Lots of families and people with disposable income. Close enough to UW to attract students. Parking is ok if you use side streets. Several bus lines serve the downtown. If I were to open such a business in Wallingford, I would market to both kids and adults.

>What's your main mode of transportation?
I will use the bus if it's convenient. Otherwise I drive.
IMO, a board game cafe must have nearby bus AND relatively easy parking. You need to attract people from a distance.
A former member
Post #: 6
While I love Third Place Books, I'm not as willing to go that far as I am to a Seattle neighborhood. Fremont sounds good, and I trust that the others, being more familiar with game-friendly places than I, have made good suggestions. Not willing to go somewhere just because one person lives in that neighborhood when it hasn't got the benefits the other suggestions do. I drive, and while I love going to Ballard, if Fremont or some other locale has the environment it sounds like we all want and has easier parking, I'm for it. I just don't want to have to go too far afield, e.g, Shoreline, South Seattle, Capitol Hill, etc. Thanks for asking! I think the others have captured my own thoughts well. (I also am not opposed to staying in Ballard; I just need to leave a bit earlier, perhaps. The farthest I've had to park is only about 4 blocks away; not a deal-breaker at all.)