addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Baltimore Atheists, Skeptics, and Non-Religious Message Board The Baltimore Atheists Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Atheist Psychiatrists in Baltimore?

Atheist Psychiatrists in Baltimore?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone!

I am new to the group and to Baltimore in general, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Atheist psychiatrists in the Baltimore area.

Thanks!
Ronit
user 3688916
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 3
i would appreciate it if u could help me understand the significance of an atheist psychiatrist. thanx!
Emil V.
user 9628166
Baltimore, MD
Would a licensed counselor be enough, or do you need a psychiatrist?
I know a counselor who describes his outlook as existentialist (which does
not imply atheist but might be philosphically close enough).

Emil Volcheck
Jessica
UniQueLyEviL
Severn, MD
I'm guessing that it may have to do with some religious people's stance on all ails being healed through the power of god at times.
Although most professionals should know better than that.
Roy A.
user 9631797
Parkton, MD
Post #: 4
I heard of the following site on a podcast. It lets therapists and potential clients register anonymously. It looks like they only have a small number of therapists registered so far but it is an interesting concept

http://www.secularthe...­

in the interview Daniel Ray said something like "if you are a secular person, or athiest, do you really want to talk through your problems with someone whose ultimate answer for problems is god and who may or may not look to secular, evidence based practices for therapy?"
Roy A.
user 9631797
Parkton, MD
Post #: 5
I heard of the following site on a podcast. It lets therapists and potential clients register anonymously. It looks like they only have a small number of therapists registered so far but it is an interesting concept

http://www.secularthe...­

in the interview Daniel Ray said something like "if you are a secular person, or athiest, do you really want to talk through your problems with someone whose ultimate answer for problems is god and who may or may not look to secular, evidence based practices for therapy?"
Kayla
kaypiob
Laurel, MD
A good therapist would leave his/her belief systems out of the equation. As long as you're up front with your stance, a professional would be mindful of that and not try to turn your beliefs into his/her own.

That said, I don't know of any specifically because most good therapists generally leave that part of themselves, which is personal, off of their resume's. But the best suggestion I can give is call around or search the web to find someone you think might fit you best. A good therapist will also give you referrals if you decide he/she is not a good fit for you.