align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Steve Z.
meadmaster
Rosedale, MD
Post #: 32
Hey all,

Post book ideas in this discussion and I will catalog them and post a file on the files page.

http://www.meetup.com...­

I will update the file periodically, as more books are posted.

I guess we should have some sort of format for the books, let's say:

Title, Author and a short descrption along with any review you may have.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steve Z.
A former member
Post #: 1
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

From Wikipedia: In The God Delusion, Dawkins contends that a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and that belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion, which he defines as a persistent false belief held in the face of strong contradictory evidence. He is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation in Lila that "when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
Sergio
user 10174828
Umeå, SE
I'll add two to the list:

1.) "Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman. I read this book a few months ago over the holiday break. Ehrman is a former evangelical Christian who devoted his life to studying the Bible (he clearly knows what he is talking about), and became a textual critic to try to reconstruct what the original text said. This gradually led him to question his beliefs, as it becomes clear that the Bible isn't this unchanging, inerrant word of God that many Christians think it is. The book goes through many examples of how early Christian scribes altered the text - sometimes accidently, sometimes deliberately to suit their own ends. Its really informative and you learn much about early Christianity, and the field of textual criticism in general. He tiptoes delicately around the obvious conclusion that the Bible isnt a reliable source for anything given how much it has changed, surely to avoid offending his Christian readers too much. Still, its a fantastic book.
http://www.amazon.com...­

2.) "Atheism: The Case Against God" by George H. Smith. This book has been around for a while - I believe it came out in the early 70's, and the title is definitely aggressive, but its one of the most convincing books for atheism I have ever read. The author uses a series of philosophical arguments to systematically demolish every argument or "proof" you've ever heard for theism. I think its absolutely devastating for the theist - belief in any supreme being is exposed as clearly being irrational and absurd. I'd love to talk about this one, its what convinced me to be the "strong atheist" I am today.
http://www.amazon.com...­

A former member
"God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.

This is an easy-to-read book which starts by Hitchens writing about how he questioned religion as a child. He is as good a writer as he is as a speaker, although at times, he is quite forceful in the latter venue. Along with Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Dennett, he is one of the "Four Horsemen" so I would think this is a must-read.
A former member
Post #: 21
"Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion" by David Hume

The first ever appearance in print of refutations of almost all arguments for the existence of a God.
Even though the work is quite delicately phrased, it was not published until 1779, three years after the author's death (at the urging of his friends to withhold its publication until it could not cause him any personal troubles), and even then without the names of either the author or the publisher.
(Every single work of David Hume's, including, of course, this one, was banned by the Catholic Church.)
A former member
Post #: 22
"Why I Am Not a Christian" - Bertrand Russell

Impeccably reasoned refutations of arguments for the existence of a God, and further criticisms of Christianity on historical and moral grounds.
Dating from 1927, this book inspired, nearly seventy years later, such books as "Why I Am Not A Muslim" by Ibn Warraq and "Why I Am Not A Hindu" by Kancha Ilaiah.
Selected by the New York Public Library as one of the most significant books of the twentieth century.

mike s.
mikestahl1
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 3
I read a lot of the same books that have been cited so far and my comments would only be redundant (more or less). Should the book list include books that are about evolution and how it works; ones that have little to do with atheism as a theme yet gainsay the evidence of a designer or authority?

If you want to add those sorts of books I will be glad to start adding to the list.
A former member
I think that science and evolution books are good for the list in addition to books that are specifically about atheism (particularly if a short description is included). I also find information on political religious organizations interesting.
A former member
Post #: 2
I would like to add something to the booklist that is not a book:

"The Atheism Tapes"
A BBC documentary of interviews of famous athiests
Steve Z.
meadmaster
Rosedale, MD
Post #: 33
Please add anything you think we might be interested in. Books on
science and such are certainly welcome.

Steve Z.