Forrest
user 10816971
Owings Mills, MD
Post #: 1
Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris - Link

The End of Faith - Sam Harris - Link

Just finished both of these. Very enlightening..
Brittany V.
user 12058694
Pikesville, MD
I love this one book in particular that made me think about how absurd life can be- it is a work of fiction by the existentialist author Albert Camus called The Stranger. For a fun read, I recommend Neil Gaiman's American Gods where all sorts of deities exist simply because people believe in them and we get to read as they run rampant through America, including the new gods representing celebrity, media, technology, etc.
Reese C.
user 10617524
Ellicott City, MD
Post #: 2
Many great books posted here.

On the topic of Dawkins, I recently finished "The Greatest Show on Earth, the evidence for Evolution". It is amazing and provides plenty of ammunition when facing deniers. In typical Dawkins fashion, he explains the complicated ideas from all the scientific fields supporting Evolution. Also, along the same lines, "The Selfish Gene" is a more complex, older book that explains natural selection from the gene's viewpoint(so to speak).

Another book I didn't see mentioned earlier is Jared Diamonds "Guns, Germs and Steel." If you want a comprehensive study of humanity, civilizations and what happens when they clash and why they clash, I would highly, highly recommend this book. Also good, is Diamonds "Collapse". A study of how past civilizations have dealt, mostly unsuccessfully, with enviromental degradation.

I love to read, so I could easily fill this topic. :)

On the fiction side, if you like fantasy, I would recommend anything by Guy Gavriel Kay. Especially, "The Lions of Al-Rassan", "Sailing to Sarantium" and its sequel "Lord of Emporers." Very few authors have the ability to so vividly describe a scene like Kay.

If you like Sci-Fi, I recently finished "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan. Quite good but extremely violent and contains many sexual scenes, so it may not appeal to some.

Thats all for now, but I could go on.

Happy reading!

Reese
Rick
user 9807347
Baltimore, MD
I've just begun reading Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, & Bad Religion In A World Without God by Greg Graffin.

Greg Graffin is the lead singer of the punk rock band Bad Religion, and he also holds his Ph.D. in Zoology (After writing his thesis about Atheism in the Animal Kingdom), and is a professor of Evolutionary Biology at UCLA.

I just started reading it. So far it's pretty good.
Roy A.
user 9631797
Parkton, MD
Post #: 7
Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht