Barakaat Dance Company Auditions 2013!
Calling All Dancers!
Barakaat Middle Eastern Dance Company is holding auditions for new members on Sunday, January 6, 2013 and the following Sunday, January 13, 2013 from 11AM to 1PM at the MAC Harbor East in Baltimore!
This is your opportunity to become part of one of the most dynamic, creative and well-respected troupes in the Baltimore/DC area. Barakaat performs at events such as the Smithsonian’s Asia After Dark, the National Aquarium Women's History Celebration, Art of the Belly and wonderful haflas, fundraisers and showcases. Honoring the cultural roots of Raqs Sharqi (belly dance), Barakaat has a connected contemporary take on traditional dances, with each member of the group adding their own unique skill set for a rich mix of creative collaboration.
Barakaat is a great resource to encourage your personal dance development. You'll get both camaraderie and creative challenges. There are some really fun and unique performance opportunities including professional paid work as well as community and charity engagements. Most importantly, you'll be put in a climate in which to make great dance art with a great group of fellow dancers.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking dancers who are positive, enthusiastic, work well with others, enjoy getting feedback and like to stretch themselves as lifelong students of Middle Eastern Dance. Do you have great technique, musicality and a great stage personality? Are you good at picking up choreograhy and staging? Then we are looking for you. Barakaat dancers are committed to the success of Barakaat both on and of stage, in and out of rehearsal. We believe in professional presentation and good ethics. Does this describe you? If so, we would love to see you at auditions!
What to Expect for Auditions
Attendance is required on both audition days. The January 6th audition consists of a belly dance skills assessment and learning short choreography in a group setting. On January 13th, prospective members will perform the choreography learned the previous week as well as present a 3-4 minute solo performance of your own creation. If you have a unique skill or specialty, we'd love to see it. Show us what you’ve got!
Auditions are open to any and all dancers regardless of stylization. Barakaat discriminates only on dance ability, so different ethnicities, genders and body types are welcome.Although all are welcome at auditions, it is recommended that dancers possess an advanced skill level.
- An overview of the troupe and our expectations will be provided during the group audition and we'll take questions at this time.
- No video of the choreography will be provided, nor are you permitted to film in the studio during auditions. Copious note-taking is allowed, of course.
- The 3-4 minute solo of your own creation is your opportunity to show us what you can bring to the table. Original choreography and/or improv: in any style, with any props, any music – We would love to see your unique skills. What is extra special you can bring to the group? Show us whatever you think will impress us!
- After the solo we'll have a short interview to get to know a little about you. You may ask any additional questions you may have at this time.
- You will be filmed in both the group and solo auditions. This film will only be seen by current members of Barakaat and will not be shared publicly.
- No special attire is required – whatever you would wear to a regular class is fine.
Contact Shems at [masked] with questions and to schedule your audition performance time slot.
Location & Parking
The MAC is located at 655 President St, Baltimore, 21202. They offer parking validation up to 2 hours for $1.50 or there is a $3 all-day garage on the corner of Fleet and Eden. There is also free parking scattered around Little Italy.