Baltimore MongoDB Users Group Message Board › Additional topics for November meetup

Additional topics for November meetup

Douglas P.
user 57718852
Annapolis Junction, MD
Hi all,

I hope you're all doing well and looking forward to November's meetup. The business use case presentation by New Wave should be great, but is only expected to be about 30 minutes long.

Instead of trying to cram in a second presentation, we're thinking that we can use the rest of the time for informal discussion and knowledge exchange. To help ensure that portion of the meeting is focused and productive, we're looking for specific topics and questions that the group would like to cover.

If you have something in mind—anything!—please hop onto this group's discussion board on Meetup.com and post a reply to this message. Don't be shy! Mongo is a major paradigm shift from the relational model, so there are no silly questions.

As some fuel for thought, here are the topics that were listed in the initial poll of the group:

• NoSQL databases in general
  • Comparison of mongoDB to other NoSQL databases
  • "Getting started" tutorials and examples
  • Lessons learned and best practices
  • Tips & tricks
  • Schema design and refactoring
  • Monitoring, maintenance, and recovery
  • Redundancy and sharding
  • Extending mongoDB
  • Under the hood
  • New and upcoming features

Please take just a moment to post a question, or just a topic from above that you'd like to investigate more.

If you don't hear from us again before the Meetup, then we'll see you in a few weeks!

Doug
A former member
Post #: 1
Doug,

Personally, "Schema design and refactoring" is currently of high interest to me. Our project initially took a MySQL/MongoDB hybrid approach in which things like user profiles, data that drives UI workflows, system events, etc. are stored in MySQL. Our system automatically runs many tools against large sets of files, which results in some fairly large (and rapidly evolving) file metadata sets, which we're storing in MongoDB, "joining" eash MongoDB record to the file's unique ID in MySQL. We're at a critical point where we must decide whether to continue with the hybrid approach or go full-on MongoDB, migrating the existing data categories from MySQL.

Anyway, so I have questions such as:

• Are there types of data and/or usage patterns that would indicate certain data is better suited to the relational model? Or, can a document-oriented model support pretty much any use case - only dependent upon your modeling skills?
  • One of the biggest benefits of a schema-less model is that (and this is one of our drivers) the model can evolve much more rapidly. In our case, we will add new "file analysis" tools frequently that generate whole new categories of data about files. It's possible that we may even need to "refactor" or migrate the existing data, as we realize new requirements that no longer fit into the existing model. Are there best practices and/or tools that can make this ongoing process easier?
  • I wonder whether others who have worked with MongoDB for awhile now have gone through a similar analysis and what lessons they've learned they might share.

Douglas P.
user 57718852
Annapolis Junction, MD
Post #: 1
Hey Tim,

I do think this would be an excellent topic for discussion. It would be a good concrete follow-up from October's meetup. At the very least, I have some thoughts for you.

Anyone else have discussion topic ideas?