Chantel
babylc
Halethorpe, MD
Post #: 28
Hello, Photography Group,
I been using Olypmus dslr for the past years, Something happened to my camera and it couldnt be replaced cause ritz went out of business and they wouldnt honor my warranty and it was said that i had to file a claim. I have to purchase another camera. I am deciding to buy a nikon kit or a canon kit, my price range is 600.00, I need to know which one would be the best and would the lenses that come with the kit if they are good for a wedding.
I been researching alittle and it looks like its going to be between canon t3 or the nikon 3100. I can really use some help this
A former member
Post #: 1
600.00 is hardly enough for a true wedding set-up. I would go with the canon but you may want to stretch you budget some. Maybe look at used gear at B & H photo and video You may find a 40D or 50D for a reasonable price and both are great starting kits. Usually come with a pretty decent lens. In weddings especially dark churches you will need a camera that shoots well at high ISO with no noise and you will need a fast lens. A fast lens (large aperture) usually cost what you are trying to spend just on a camera and up....way up! Hope this helps....Rob - GMS Photo and Video
Robbie M.
baylinestudios
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 141

Rob has some very good points. I would like to add a few more. $600 although it sounds like a lot of money, is nothing when you are looking at proper gear. You can't show up at a wedding with a pop up flash. You cannot show up at a wedding with an 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens. Wedding photography is an art, and it takes a lot of research, training, practice, patience and money. Don't even get me started on all of the legal aspects. Before jumping into this and calling yourself a "wedding photographer" get some training. Ask to work as a second or an assistant. Really get to know what you are getting yourself into. You will also need insurance for theft, damage, injury and liability. OK, sorry I started getting legal. You will need a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, a 70-200mm 2.8, a 16-35mm 2.8, a 24-70mm 2.8, a 24-105mm 4.0, and maybe a fish eye. That's just the lenses. Also you need back ups. You will need an extra camera body in case yours dies, like it already has. If this happens at wedding you need to grab another camera which is set up for the lighting conditions without missing a step. Like I said, there is a lot to learn. You only get one shot at a wedding and you better get it right, or you will be hearing the legal stuff loud and clear. Just giving honest advice from the trenches........Robbie McLean