Learn python by solving problems. - Haris
This edition of the Bangpypers meetup will focus on a hands on beginner level workshop. We will be covering:
- Quite a few bad puns
- Working with the basic data types
- Explaining data structures in detail:
- - Dictionaries
- - Lists
- - Tuples
- Work on the control flow structures: - If-else, For loops, While loops
- Basic file operations
- Writing functions and using them in more than a few scenarios
- Introduction to writing classes
- Basic error handling
- Introduction to using libraries - sys - os
The course is outlined such that we will have one script that we will be working on enhancing throughout the duration of the course. However, there will be one off exercises in between which will be used to explain specific concepts in detail. It is going to be completely hands on where you will do and learn along with the instructor as well as by yourself.
* Prior programming knowledge:
This is a basic Python workshop and not a basic programming workshop. Hence, you are expected to be familiar with terms like loops, functions, variables, etc.
* A laptop (with charger): Do bring your own machines to follow along with the course trying out the examples. This is a hands on workshop.
Softwares to be installed: Have a working installation of python 2.7 and a text editor. Installation instructions can be found below.
Install Python 2.7.x not 3.x.
* Linux: - If you have Ubuntu/Debian, then chances are you probably have it already. Just type "python" in your terminal and you should an output like this: Python 2.7.3 (default, Sep[masked], 20:03:06)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>>| If you did not see an output like this, then install it using "sudo apt-get install python2.7 For other flavors of Linux, use their corresponding package managers to get python2.7.
Feel free use whichever Text editor or IDE you are comfortable with. Don't use NotePad.You can try Sublime Text (http://www.sublimetext.com/3).
Date: 15th Feb 2014.
Time: 10:00AM to 4:00PM
We have limited seats, If you are not attending *UNRSVP*.
- Please feel free to bring laptop(charged) and netcard.
- RSVP will be opened only two weeks before the meetup.
- Food, snacks will be taken care.
Kracekumar (Host): [masked]